Newbie - 70-431

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Chris-t, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Chris-t

Chris-t New Member

Hi I have recently started my study for SQL server 2005 Implementation and maintenance.

I have Comptia A+, 70-721 and 70-727 under my belt and I have now moved onto SQL Server.

After reading some of the Microsoft book it is apparent that this is a big step up I have no previous experience, and at the start of the book it says: We assume you have working knowledge of relational databases and their design, Transact SQL and SQl server 2005 client tools.

Little bit scary considering I dont.

So my question is does any one know of any good books that i can read that will hopefully get me to the position needed to start the Microsoft book.

Regards, Chris

2. Chris-t

Chris-t New Member

* 70-271 & 70-272 (mistake)

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As you have no experience why don't you start with entry level SQL/DB certs like the MySQL CMA cert? It is aimed at entry level DBA's.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Also - there is a personal edition of SQL server 2005 available for free from Microsoft. If you install that at least you will begin to get some hands-on experience.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+