Newbe Require Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Tim26792, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Tim26792

Tim26792 New Member

Hi All,

Was hoping for some advise regarding re-training and entering the IT proffession. I have no previous experience within the industry. I have a reasonable level of competence when it comes to using IT and setting up of home networks etc.etc but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

I have always been interested in I.T. so, see it as a potential for a career change as my existing proffession is going belly up rapidly.

I have read the posts on here regarding the training companies v`s self study and to be honest I still not sure what too do. I really dont think self study is for me particulary due to my lack of experience.

I have been looking at Advent for training, I understand the concerns many have expressed on here with regard to them promising jobs and starting salaries etc but, I am quite realistic and realise that a new boy is not going to walk into a £25+k job.

In a nutshell I would just like to know peoples thoughts on the industry (is it worth re training) are there jobs out there for new graduates with no experience? and any thoughts on Advent training.

Thanks
    Tim

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

I would never trust a training provider as all you basically do is pay them a lot of money and they give you some books to read then you take the exams. You can just get the books yourself and take the exams cutting out the middleman.

Some training providers do provide workshops but also that is something you can do on your own with a cheap pc and virtualization software.

Anyone that say you will get a job just because you do their course or get this qualification or that certification is talking crap. The only things certs and qualifications do is make you look more attractive to an employer.

Starting certifications are compTIA A+, compTIA N+ and Microsofts MCDST.

Graduate jobs are hard to find but even harder if you didn't do a placement as I found out but any job is hard to get if you have no experience. So whilst studying the A+ you could get a trainee or entry level position and work your way up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think you've nothing to lose trying self-study first. Any study materials you buy will still be very useful because it's always best to have more than one source of information.
    If it's not for you and you feel you need tuition look at your local colleges before going down the expensive TP path.
    Personally I think anyone capable of passing the A+ is capable of self-studying it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job