New user, A+ advice please!

Discussion in 'A+' started by SouperMatt, Oct 18, 2010.

1. SouperMatt

SouperMatt New Member

Hi,

Im currently on an apprenticeship studying for a level 2/3 IT Users Qualification on day release to College. To cut a long story short im wondering if you guys think it would be feasible for me to take and pass the A+ qualification before the end of this year ( so i am certified for life, if thats correct? ). Work colleagues are telling me if i solidly study i could pass within 4-6 weeks, but they took their A+ nearly 7 years ago now so i don't know if thats an accurate assesment?

Any and all responses welcome!

2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Hi there.

As far as I am aware [new guy myself here]. The A+ exam is no longer a certification for life and instead is a more typical "periodic review" assessment every three years.

Kind regards

1/4

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. SouperMatt

SouperMatt New Member

Cheers for the response. From reading other peoples threads over the past few days i was under the impression that if the certificate was achieved before the end of this year then it was for life, however you could be right in which case i could just wait i suppose...

4. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Here is a link to the comptia policy on certs, 1/1/11 is the cut off date.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx

I passed A+ earlier this year but i did do the 2006 exam not the 2009. There is alot of material to study its a very wide subject but not too indepth. Depending on what you know already you might be able to study for it in 4 weeks. I would sit a practice exam to see were you are, some of the study guides come with one.

I left 2 years between studing my A+ and stitting the exam. I did a practice exam and scored 72%, i then brushed up on my notes and study guides one month later hit 96%. I then passed my exams first time and would say the practice exams were harder than the real thing.

Good luck

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  5. SouperMatt

SouperMatt New Member

Cheers. Yea Ill be able to get access to a few practice exams over the next few days to see how far off i am hopefully and go from there, if im way off ill just bite the bullet and wait. In that regard will it be such a major problem having to renew every 3 years or do you guys think being certified for life is the way to go? I mean if i ever go for a new job theyre going to want me qualifications to be relevant and up to date anyway arent they. Decisions! what do you guys think?

6. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

If you keep moving on up in IT A+ is not going to be very relevant for higher level jobs. Plus the certs are like the cisco certs in the fact that you only need to renew your highest level cert. So if you go on to get your N+ your A+ will also be renewed then you can move to S+ which will renew A+ & N+.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST