New upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Mar 2, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well my upgrading is going well...so far I have purchased this baby from eBay and this is my next purchase and u lot tell me how cheap is this :biggrin

So after these 2 purchases (hope to get the graphics card very soon!!) it will be the AMD X2 4200 CPU...altho that will take sometime before I get that...otherwise I am almost there...oh and I am also planning on getting a 250GB SATA HDD with a Lightscribe DVD-RW...woohoo!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Take it you are a keen gamer noelg? If so you you will be upgrading forever, hee hee! :biggrin

Nice looking graphics card, same price on Ebuyer though :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Nice board Noel and great price, just bought a cheapy 939 from work for £25 no box, no disk(drivers on a pen drive), no manual, no cables. Get it on wednesday that should be fun!!!!

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

nice on binbox altho I wouldnt accept a mobo that came with no CD, no manual or cables...I mean yeah I got spares meself but they all have their uses at some point...but hope u have fun mate...cant wait for mine to arrive...I am hoping to get the PCI-E card sometime this month (budget depending!!) otherwise it will be end of the month if its still on eBay...then its the CPU after that...

5. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Sounds like you have the same problems as me Noel. We just manage to scrape the money together for the upgrade, but by the time we have, it's time to start upgrading again hohum.

I'm happy in the fact that everyone in the office are already running the cheap boards so at least I know they're ok???????????
    (I hope)

Happy upgrading

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks mate...but I seem to have run into a dilemma...I have now found an ATI Radeon X1300 PRO 256MB PCI-Express Card priced at £70 with free P+P on eBay!!! so now I dont know whether I should get that one or still stick with the X800GTO which is a 512MB one and priced at £109...do u think the X1300 will be better tho? I would imagine so...I think I might for that one instead...looks the real deal...

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Personally, I'd go for a faster GPU over more VRAM, especially given the price difference. There's always the option to dual up the graphics card in the future which will give you more graphics power and more VRAM :) .

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ok right just thought I would give you a heads up people...so I have currently and MSI Neo-4F Mobo and an ATI Sapphire X1300 PCI-E card with 256MB...only cost me £72 from my local PC shop (and I only went in to get a box of 100 DVD cases!!!) they even tried to get me to buy an Epson printer that prints CDs and DVDs and more blank DVDs!!! hell just give me the shop and I will be happy :biggrin...next up 2GB DDR400 sticks of RAM and then maybe at a push my lightscribe DVD-RW drive...all good I think...hehe...

9. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Just my thought but i cant really see the point of these lightscribe drives as you need the special burner and also the right media

Why not just get a normal dvd burner, cheaper media and a epson r300 printer for about £60 that prints full colour

just a thought :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Cos Mojo at the moment I can still use the discs I have (Datawrite) but if I was going to do the text/image burning then and only then will I need the correct media for it...no need for a new printer as I have the Epson CX3200 all in one and its served me well for nearly 2yrs :biggrin...so u see am all sorted really...and my current DVD-RW is lonely after I got rid me of DVD/CD-RW combo drive a few weeks back...so it needs new company...

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right fellas and ladies...I am almost there. I bought my first stick of 1GB PC3200 RAM with a Samsung 16x DVD RW Lightscribe drive. both under £60 altogether from eBay. The RAM arrived this morning so just waiting on the DVD drive now. I will get another 1GB end of this month with a 250GB (or 2) SATA drive. And then after enough overtime at work then I will have my AMD X2 4400 CPU!! :biggrin...just a quickie peeps...my new Mobo is MSI Neo-4F. It can take X2 CPUs but do I need to upgrade the BIOS first? I ask this cos when I get the X2 and put it in will it be recognised as a dual-core CPU or a single core? either way I will have to upgrade the BIOS to make it run smoothly...any ideas welcomed...:D

12. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Well personaaly for gaming i always go for DFI Lan Party motherboards, And im running an ATI Radeon X1800XT 512 MB graphics card. Once i stick my new processor in it. Hopefully all will be great. (well, for a few months) then it will be out of date again. LoL.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thats all good elli5on but I aint really using mine for gaming solely...I will be doing a whole host of other things, audio, DVDs, gaming, just about everything i can throw at it...

14. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Surprised there is no reply to that one. Chances are that the processor will only read as single core processor. Simply flashing the BIOS will enable this to comfotably and happily speed your way through loading processes.

Have Fun

Craig

15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Sorry read the question slightly wrong. If it says it will already take Dual core processes. There is no need for a flashing BIOS processes.

I however had to flash mine to upgrade the CPU to dual core,(which i still have not bought yet :( )

Craig

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well there has been a change now...I bought the ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard this morning for £76...its the Crossfire version which I was wanting after realising the MSI one I had bought before may not cut it...also bought with it the Maxtor 250GB SATA HDD...so now I am all complete but have to now save up in order to get me AMD X2 4400 CPU...I am hoping to get this either end of July or end of August...:biggrin :D

17. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

The motherboard Box or manual will let you know if it can accept Dual core as standard, which i imagine it will.

If not flashing the bios will give you the required wooomph needed to accept your 64x2 cpu.

Good Luck

Saving for parts is always annoying as well. :biggrin

18. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yeah thats the baby...I was about to put the link on meself...:biggrin...and yes it is dual core ready so no need to update the BIOS...all sorted...ooohhh I cant wait for me X2 CPU now...:biggrin like waiting for Xmas only earlier...haha...

20. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

A system i built yesterday fro my dad used an ASUS moby, although it was awkward to get it tyo boot with out moving the memory around the slots.