New to the forum and looking for advice /:-)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Cloud-M, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Cloud-M

Cloud-M New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice as I want to take a CCENT and CCNA in the next 2 months (well that's my goal):eek:

I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best books to buy to complete it with regards to the new exams that have been introduced.

I'm funding this myself to improve my employment prospects (you may have guessed I'm not working at the mo), and cannot afford to go on those courses or distance learning. I've got enough cash for a few books and the cost of the exams and most importantly 6 weeks or so to devote soley to completing it as well as the local library. Is this a realistic time scale or is it wishful thinking?

I know there's the books from Cisco Press but there are so many and I cannot buy them all. I remember someone saying Sybex produced some good ones. What I'm looking for is one or two weighty books that willl have all the info I need to be ready to take the exam and perhaps some CBT CD's/DVD's etc.

I'm sure there's a few people studying it at the moment or those who have recently completed the course and I would really appreciate some advice. Please bear in mind I'm on a shoe string budget and can't buy lots of books, dvd's or equipment to practice on.

Thanks,
    M

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How much real-world IT experience do you have, and what other certifications have you achieved?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

As BM asked do you have any IT related experience?

CCNA wont improve your employment prospects if you have no experience in networking with cisco equipment it will probably damage your employment prospects.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF!! Enjoy your stay.

WIP: A+, MCAD
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Cloud-M

Cloud-M New Member

I have been to Uni and done a 1year placement in an IT dept. at a Bank. I had to take some time out due to ill health so looking get qualified in Networking to improve my prospects.

M

p.s. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone I'm sure I'll be a regular here.:biggrin

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What did you do during your one-year placement?

Not trying to give you the Inquisition... I say this only because the CCENT and CCNA are generally for people who are starting to administer networks (not just working in IT, but actually working with the network infrastructure). If you've never touched a Cisco router, getting certified is not likely going to improve your employment opportunities.

I asked before, but you didn't answer: do you have any other certifications? If not, you might want to consider the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The IT placement might help, but it might be better to get into an entry-level IT role. Getting yourself into the game will make it easier to understand and work towards a networking job.

Welcome to the forum...

14. Cloud-M

Cloud-M New Member

I haven't any certificates... I spent one year in network design so not very practical oriented. My intentions are to work my way towards the Cisco Design qualifications but I would like to have a good grounding in the actual technology used for my own benefit and hopefully it will help me in my future career.