New to studying and book hunting? Try before you buy.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Whilst doing some research, I came across the Google Book Search, which you may or may not have heard of.

It allows you to preview in PDF form parts of books. A search for CCNA brought up this.

A lot of the trouble I have when studying, is that I can't get on with the author's writing style.

I thought it would be useful, being able to see the text of the book before going ahead and buying it; I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't tend to find what I want in my local Waterstones - a lot of my purchases are online.

Some subjects even allow you to download the entire book - mainly when the books are antiquated and are leatherbound (and therefore at their most interesting!)

What do you other guys think?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wouldn't know about that - one of the perks of living in London is Charing Cross Road and it's bookshops - Foyles is the greatest bookshop on Earth and in the past five years or so I reckon I've spent a good month and a half in their technical section :p

I like the Google BookSearch - I've used it a lot to preview things in the past prior to buying online. It's one of those 'well kept secrets' that, strangely, the average bod doesn't seem to know too much about.

Incidentally - Foyles' staff - if you're reading this - I promise soon to make up for the hours spent leafing through books sat cross-legged on your floor - I've been given a purchasing card and a £500 limit at work - so prepare yourselves for the ultimate in nerd spending sprees... :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Arroryn

lol. I envy you so much, Zeb :p

But I, myself, live in little old Coventry. Whenever I do come to London, which is admittedly quite frequently these days, it's always in a work capacity. I have no time to get to what I believe is the largest Waterstones in Europe (Oxford Street).

So thus, I am condemned to spending far too much of my time on the internet and leeching what I can from the scant few Computing books my store will get in.

Kind of explains a lot. Well. It explains the hump. And the dribbling. And the fear of sunshine.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Lemme get this straight - you come to London and are contemplating visiting a branch of Waterstones - when Foyles is, quite literally, OPPOSITE? nonononono - that cannot be. next time you're down here in the civilised world, I insist that you visit Foyles. The computer section is on the first floor.

As for your myriad deformities, I cannot possibly pass comment, Suffice it to say that, were you to move briefly to London, in a misguided attempt to sample the 'streets are paved with gold' myth, your envy would quickly turn to pity - as you would find there are far, far more drawbacks to living in this abject shithole than there are perks.

5. Arroryn

If I'm being quite honest, I've never heard of Foyles. Can I say where I come from again? Cov-en-try. Well, technically, that's not true. I come from a village near Coventry. Which, to add to the already long list of deformities, automatically adds webbed feet!

And I'm sitting in Spitalfields as we speak; the company I work for has just taken over offices down near Liverpool Street station. Trouble is, my office hours are brutally similar to store opening hours, plus I tend to be on call quite a bit, which keeps me hanging around the office.

Needless to say, I have a window of holiday soon. Maybe I'll scrape myself back down to the Big Smoke. just to visit Foyles. Until then, I'll keep cultivating my hump, clean the drool off the keyboard and stick to what I know.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What he said ^^ :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Now don't rub it in Pete - living out there in paradise!

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It is indeed.

Six floors of bookwormy goodness!

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Six? Worth a visit to London just to do that :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO Foyles has improved hugely over the last few years.

I remember it as it was 20 years ago when it was eccentric, but excelent stock. It then went through a bad period when other bookshops had the stock and were much better organized, while Foyles just stagnated.

Then it seemed to get a kick up the backside, and now is very good - normaly my first port of call. Particularly as other bookshops such as Waterstones have cut back on non-mainstream stock.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+