new to mcdst

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by bonesy, Aug 8, 2009.

1. bonesy

bonesy New Member

hi everyone i just joined. i started learning this mcdst (70-271) on a recommendation from a friend and so far its been really understandable with all the information out there (microsoft's book, cbt nuggets and this site).
    but iv'e been using the practice tests from the readiness review suite and transcender and im finding them really hard especially the readiness review.

i got 73% on the transcender but i think i can get better on my second try but iv'e done the readiness review twice and have gotten 51% both times, im finding it hard to read the questions as they are worded so confusingly to the point where im spending over 5 minutes just looking at a question trying to make sense of it.

is there anything else i can do as im taking the exam next friday. i find that the book doesn't help that much, so what i end up doing is learning from my mistakes in the practice exam which helps a bit.

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: 70-272, A+ in a bit
  2. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Maybe study more and re-book the exam? Don't take it if you don't feel 100%. I've learnt from my past experiences that the frame of mind you go in for the exam matters very much, so going to take it while being paranoid and scared won't help. Make sure you read carefully all the question you get wrong and understand why your answers were wrong. I'm currently studying for this exam and have the same problem, after reading the book i thought it was quite simple and was going to book the exam until i did the Transcender questions and scored 50%. Now im reading the book again, bullet pointing all the small detail i need to know and then doing another practice exam out of the five you get from Transcender. If i score well in that i'll take it from there if i don't ... more studying :(. Good luck and keep us updated.

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  3. bonesy

bonesy New Member

thanks i seem to be getting a higher percentage now
    but i keep finding strange questions like this one

4. TTab

TTab Bit Poster

Advanced is the right tab, but their graphic is wrong, it should be a screenshot of the Windows firewall. Doesn't seem like a quality training package to me.

Certifications: MCP 70-270 MCTS 70-680
    WIP: MCSA / CCENT
  5. bonesy

bonesy New Member

its from the readiness review suite.

6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I was having the exact same issue, my brain felt overloaded by the amount of information in some of the questions, and i was scoring around the same marks. I personally found it easier to whilst looking at the questions write down and isolate what I thought were key words. So for example, :

Bob needs to share folder "cheesey bites", and is currently using XP Home. He wants all users in the finance group to have read only acccess and all users in sales group to have full control............

Id write down, XP Home,
    shared folder,
    Finance group = read only
    Sales group = Full control
    then work from there with the answers which are given:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  7. bonesy

bonesy New Member

haha thats what i did as well.:D

and today i passed 70-271 with a score of 849 but damn did i find it hard.
    just a little tip for everyone dont forget the easy stuff and don't just concentrate on the hard stuff. the questions were mainly similar to the questions on the back of the mcdst book and the transcenders (but not as hard).

so now that i have that i my pocket, whats next?

this whole mcdst stuff was recommended to me by a friend so that it can help me get a job.
    i gonna take the 70-271 soon but should/can i get a job before i take it, and is it easy to get a job with just an 70-271 and no other computer qualifications?

i have experience building and using computers as i have been building custom computers and customizing cases since January for friends and family but for little or no profit, so im not totally relying on the 70-271.
    but any help on what to do next would be a godsend.

8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Awesome Well Done!:biggrin

Personally I would start looking around for a job now, but continue to study towards MCDST and probably look at doing the A+.

I started here with the company I worked for, a good while before gaining any certificatio, but I would defintley recommend the A+.

again well done though:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  9. bonesy

bonesy New Member

thank you very much. i got a friend doing the a+ and it doesn't seem that hard at all so i'll give that a shot.

with the jobs are there any specific sites and search terms i should be using.

oh and before i forget what are the job roles/names i should be aiming for, cus honestly i would want to start at the bottom so all this mcdst stuff can firmly sink in.

10. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. I think you should do the A+, it will only help. Try and look for jobs in helpdesk and 1'st line support, they are perfect for someone with little or no experience where you will practice everything you learnt. Good luck.

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST