New to it all .....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by chuckles, May 24, 2010.

1. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Well, I'm new here. This site was referenced on a forum in ProProfs.com so I thought I'd give it try! A little about me: I have decades of experience with a MS in Engineering (but not computer related). Last year the company I had worked for "retired" me which gives me the opportunity to pursue an "encore" career in computer technology . I have always loved messing around with them and have been fixing up friend's systems for awhile. The first one I owned was an Atari ST back in 1985.... Yes I have even used punched cards and 300 baud modems so I go way back!

After much study I obtained my 2006 A+ in Feb. 2010 and the 2009 A+ bridge in April 2010. I'm currently about half way finished with studying for the Network +. I've joined this forum to look for career pointers, references to study material, practice tests, etc. I'm hoping to learn from the vast experience represented on this site as I prepare for the next certification.

I also have experience with many study materials such as practice exams by Ucertify, PrepLogic, ExamCram, and Transcender. And I've worked with several different books: A+ book by Jean Andrews, the ExamCram A+ book, and currently with Lammle's Network+ and ExamCram Network+. Also for the A+ I used an iPod touch and a great little app called Cram to create a lot of tests that I could take with me and study at any time.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to visit this forum, so be patient with me if you reply. Thanks and I look forward to a learning experience!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome! Where are you in Tennessee?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

NE TN. I see you come from Nashville. I've been impressed by the quantity of your replies and all the advice you've given out. I spent several hours cruising around the forum and your name came up a lot. Keep it up! I've already latched unto the reference of Professor Messer which I'll start viewing. This forum lead me to that (it may even have been one of your posts, I can't remember after several hours....) Thanks.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I pass through there (going up I-81) every now and then on my way to my in-laws house in WV. I'm usually with the wife and kids, but I'm coming back by myself next month while they stay up and have a vacation. If you're not too far away from my trail, maybe we can grab a bite to eat and you can pick my brain. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!