New to Certification

Discussion in 'A+' started by supertodd, Sep 25, 2005.

1. supertodd

supertodd New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to this certification lark. I've got 'a'-level and hnd computing, but I'd like that little extra shine on my CV, namely an A+, hopefully leading onto something like a Network + and beyond.

Do you wise members believe it's possible for me to go it alone and sit the exam without splashing out a grand I don't have on a 5 days course?

I know since you don't know me it's tough but has anyone here gone it alone without breaking the bank?

Anyone gone further and done a CCNA or CNA (netware) without the classroom side at a grand a go?

Cheers.

Certifications: HND Computing
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm going it alone on A+, just using the Meyers book. But I have to admit to having been messing with PCs for a *long* time!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. supertodd

supertodd New Member

I've got the Meyers book and a Microsoft Press book (Kate Chase) as well as all my uni notes and books. I've been messing around with them a lot too, in 'A'-Level computing, they let us build the schools new computers when we rolled out from Win 3.1 to 95 (yes this was some time ago!)

I also worked in front line IT Support as well at uni supporting WinXP / Netware clients which involved some 2nd line work (it got boring sometimes, i went pro-actively looking for PCs to fix!!)

If someone else is doing it, gives me the confidence to go ahead - don't wanna waste money on the exams to find if i've gone it alone i got no chance!!

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there, Welcome to CF. :)

You will find that there are a lot of people here who are persuing certs on their own through self study.

It is not just the entry level certs that can be achieved through self study, but also the higher level ones aswell, although to achieve these you will need to be spending lots of time in a lab using the products.

I'm sure that if you take a look around this site you will find answers to all of your questions in relevant threads.

Best of luck to you.

8)

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As simongrahamuk pointed out, you'll find most members going along the self study route and the ones that have chosen a training company for A+ and Network+ usually regret it. If you already have some experience then they shouldn't be too hard for you to do. I did my A+ in 7 weeks and then my Network+ in 6 weeks once I pulled my finger out. This meant 2-5 hours work/study almost every night but I had a time frame in which I had to have it done by.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Supertodd,

Welcome to CF, glad you found us. :)

As already pointed out by simon and nugget, you can master the A+ and beyond by self study. Mike Myers all in one book is a great one to get.
    Good luck with your certs, hope to see your posts here soon.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. supertodd

supertodd New Member

thanks for the advice peeps, gives me pretty much the prod in the right direction i was hoping for.

so now that i know it can be done, and is indeed done this way by the majority, I'll knuckle down!

Just out of interest, has anyone here done a Novell CNA? Or is that gonna go down like a lead baloon in a MS dominant forum? (Well, it might not be I haven't been here long enough to judge that yet!!)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think there are a few folks here that work with Netware but no one has stepped up to the plate and gone for a Novell cert. Our sister site (if I can say that) Tech-Unity has Novell forums and one of the Smods is a Novell guru. One of the few sites I have found that have a significant Novell component.

Certifications: A+ and Network+