NEW to CCNA wants information on simaulation that works on Vista

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by sheeetal5, Sep 5, 2008.

1. sheeetal5

sheeetal5 New Member

hi

Can any one advice me about a good ccna simulation which works with vista home premium..

Thanks
    sheeetal5

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Packet-tracer should work fine. Information on it can be found here.

You'll need to download the program through your netacad cisco logon.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

If I'm reading your question correctly, you have a couple of choices.

(1) Real Equipment - Best but most expensive and not very portable
    (2) Simulators - Quality can vary, but I hear Boson's product is good. Does cost money, but is software based so it can go anywhere your computer can.
    (3) Rack Rental - Where you can rent time to use real equipment. Normally you'd interact with the equipment via a terminal session (i.e. SSH / Telnet) to a connected server that is consoled to the various equipment. Pro is you don't have to invest a lot of money up front. Con is that you are limited to pockets of time and may have to give up your session when time comes up as the equipment may be booked for someone else.

For the CCNA and to keep costs down, I'd say look at the Simulator option. Unless you know you'll be continuing further with more Cisco certs immediately following the CCNA

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Which... is useless for the 95% of people who don't take an official Cisco course to get certified.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Qs

I'm evidently one of the golden few then (no pun intended).

Still if it helps 5% that's better than nothing :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. BosonMichael

Well, the point is, the other 95% are gonna go looking for it, not realizing that it's not available to them... when there are quality simulators available (including one from yours truly) that 100% of CCNA candidates can purchase. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Qs

Some people on my CCNA course didn't know about Packet-Tracer - go figure *shrugs*

I'm liking the plug though. :p

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You shill!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. BosonMichael

Busted - you've seen through my ruse and discovered my true intentions for posting the other 11,000-odd posts. :biggrin

10. paulbarron

paulbarron New Member

If you are studying at the CCNA level use Packet Tracer 5. It has several advantages over its competitors:
    Free - to Netacad students/alumini
    Clearly the content is specific to CCNA and developed by Cisco
    But above all else its a very pleasant package to use, making learning fun!!!

If I had to rank simulators according to enjoyment of use:

Packet Tracer 5
    Network Visualizer, RouterSim 6
    Boson Netsim 7.06
    GNS3

11. BosonMichael

To clarify, GNS is not a simulator; it is an emulator. Or, rather, a GUI front-end that uses the Dynamips emulator. Unfortunately, although GNS itself is "legal", you can't legally use Cisco's IOS on GNS and Dynamips.

12. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  13. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Hmmm... Never tried Network Visualizer.

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297