New to A+, need some advice/help

Discussion in 'A+' started by roro, Jan 16, 2012.

1. roro

roro Bit Poster

Hey Everyone,

A little background, I am leaving my current FT job to go back to school for a 3 year course for my Computer Technology course, I have lot of experience when it comes to computers hands on and with lots of different OS, However I am running into some issues that are really discouraging me about what I have chosen.

I picked up Mike Meyers Comptia A+ book, seventh edition, and read it from cover to cover. I spent on a daily basis 5-7 hrs studying.

I am doing the practice tests, and I am finding myself forgetting all the terms, jargons, and tons of other processes that if I was in front of a computer I could do, but I keep getting it wrong on the practice tests.

My average score is usually from 67% to 90%(second run through is always higher), I am getting really discouraged, because I feel that everything that I read I have forgotten. I have already booked my test for the 701 and the 702 Tests, but day after day, the more review I do, the more I feel I am forgetting what I read.

This is my first Cert I am trying to do before I start school, I am very very good with computers and I love them, however I am really getting discouraged about the choice I am making, not a good start.

Just wanted to see if anyone has gone through what I am going through, how you have dealt with it, please don't say review more, I do that everyday.lol.

Not exactly sure what I am looking for here, but I stumbled across this forum while doing a search on Google, so I am hoping by talking to some individuals that are experienced in this field, I could perhaps gather some information.

Sorry about the long read, thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+, Network +
    WIP: Haven't Decided Yet
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums roro.

Studying is hard, especially if you've finished school and the daily absorbing of knowledge wears off. You don't want to hear 'review more', so I'm going to say, give yourself some time to take in the what you crammed in.

Think about intensive driving courses (5day course, 30 hours). By the end of 5 days you can drive but generally the exam passing rates are lower. This is because you're doing it too fast and not giving your body or mind enough recovery time

I would recommend a second read of the book:
    1. highlight jargon
    2. write down notes
    3. When you read the jargon in the book, inform yourself what it means. This include acronyms. IE: everytime I see RAM I read 'Random Access Memory'.

Also, this exam is for someone with 500 hours of working IT knowledge, practical and theory. You can't get that knowledge in a week of reading a book.

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

^What Boffy said^

Plus, as far as learning anything goes, when you get frustrated, walk away and come back to it later. Trying to push things into your brain when stressed is counterproductive.

Likewise, when you have "got" a concept or memorized a table, pat yourself on the back, go have a brew or whatever, then get stuck back in. Nice and steady away :-)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680
  4. roro

roro Bit Poster

Thanks for all the good advice and help guys.

Just a quick update, I passed both exams, so now I am A+ certified :)

Thinking about doing the Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) next, open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats Roro! Remember to update your Certification details on your profile. 8)

Depending on your current networking knowledge and experience, you could always consider doing the N+

Either way, good luck!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

Congratulations Roro, just started the A+ myself. How long did it take you to pass, weeks/months?

7. roro

roro Bit Poster

Thank you SIR, thinking about doing the Network +, just not sure which I should go with.

I am going to post in the Network + sections, I was either thinking Mike Meyers Network + or maybe like I was mentioning, CCENT

Thanks Transformers, to answer your question, I studied for I would say about 25 days straight. Finished the book in about 2 weeks, and another 1-2 weeks was straight review and non stop practice questions, I even re read some chapters. Hope that helps out.

8. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

It does help, thank you. I will have to step my game up lol. I look to do the N+ after myself, was thinking CCENT/CCNA but alot of people said do the N+ first. I suppose it's down to a matter of opinion.

9. roro

roro Bit Poster

Well that is exactly the same Dilemma I am in.

Some people are telling me CCENT is more of an entry level cert and its good foundation if I start there. Others are saying do the N+.

10. jake77

jake77 Bit Poster

This has already been pretty well answered, but thought I'd chip in.

I find the best way for me to absorb as much as possible is to cover the topic, and then come back to it in a few days and cover it again, which cements it into my brain.

Certifications: 50m swimming certificate
    WIP: No cert, I'm an apprentice.