New Syngress Book

Discussion in 'Security+' started by munky, Jul 24, 2007.

1. munky

munky New Member

Afternoon all,

I am going to start working towards the Security+ certification soon, and after reading through previous comments on here, I have decided to plump for Syngress and Examcram2 as my study guides.

My only question is that on the front cover of the the 2nd edition Syngress book...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1597491535/ref=dp_olp_2/203-0237715-8727961

...it says 'Security + 2nd edition JK0-010', when in fact the exam is SYS-010.

I'm not sure why it says 'JK0-010', and I'm unsure as to whether this will contain the necessary info I will need for the SYS-010 exam, or if I should just stick to the original verison...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-St...31836728/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/203-0237715-8727961

Does anyone have any ideas which one I should go for?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you look at the Security+ pages on the CompTIA site you will see both codes there. One is described as 'E2C', without further explanation.

I'd suggest an email to CompTIA to ask them to clarify this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. munky

munky New Member

Thanks Harry, will do.

4. GW

GW Byte Poster

I flipped through the new Security+ book in the bookstore and it has the same information from the first edition of the book but it looks like they added topics and updated information and such.

I think the other exam code is for the next version of the Security+ exam that will probably be come out in the near future since they haven't updated it in awhile. Syngress puts the new exam code on the book so when the new exam comes out they are the first on the market and they don't lose customers over time with people thinking it is out of date with an old exam code.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  5. munky

munky New Member

Thanks GW, I may aswell go for the 2nd edition then.

Any idea if/when CompTIA will be bringing out the new version of Security+?

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Put it this way, I thought I was doing the 2002 version of the exam, however when I got my result sheet at the end of the exam, it states Comptia Security+ (2007 Edition). I'm assuming that the Security+ has just been updated.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

It was "updated" in January - and it wasnt an update as such - from what i understood at the time -the pool of questions was changed completely! :D

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Kitkatninja

So it was more of a revision than an update :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Kitkatninja

I was wondering if you knew that you can buy the Syngress book in .pdf via Syngress website? That together with Examcram2, learnkey CBT & Preplogic practice exam helped me pass the Security+. Once thing I would say is that the Syngress book delves quite deep (too deep imo) for the exam topics, but good for a desktop reference guide.

Don't worry about the first 3 characters of the exam, whether it's JK0 or SYS (it's the last 3 characters that matter - the 010), it's comptia's version of Microsoft's 2 digit start of their exam (eg 70 - for final release, 71 - for beta & 72 for Academic), it's only when purchasing the exam voucher you have to be careful.

-ken

10. munky

munky New Member

Hi Ken,

I actually got the pdf last night, & Examcram2, learnkey CBT & Preplogic practice exam are on my list of things to get.

cheers!