New Starter

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Swann, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Swann

Swann New Member

Hi,

I am looking at getting into the security side of I.T. and I was wondering the best place to start?

Was looking at forensics but think the MS exams are different to actual computer forensics..

Thanks in advance

Craig

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, to my knowledge, while Microsoft do security related exams/certs they do not cover computer forensics.

For that field, I would say take a look at courses/qualifications/certifications like the following:

CCL - I did their basic computer forensics course. That gave a good intro into the subject.
    The OU - Computer forensics and investigations - Again, another course that I've done. This course delves deeper in this subject area, including report writing and investigation.
    7Safe courses, my manager at my last place did a course with them and rated them (granted it was over 10 years ago, but they were still very good).

And the list goes on...

As for how to get your foot in the door - education and then apply to the computer forensics companies directly. The police use to be a great place to start, however one of the people I know, got onto one of the forensic programs with the police (so did the degree) and once the person finished, was told that they were closing/reducing the size (so now while looking for a job, working in Tescos).

A lot of companies (or at least the ones that I've looked at) do also want previous IT experience and/or programming or scripting experience.

BTW, moved thread into new members. Hi and welcome to CF :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Certifications: A few.
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Welcome to CertForums!

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member