New PC Reboots - When Game Launched

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fluid, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Hi guys, iv just built a new pc with the following specs:

1GB DDR2
    250GB HDD SATA
    Pentium D 3.Ghz Dual Core (64 Bit)

Every time i launch Counter Strike : Source, the game launches and bam it reboots.... as long as i dont play any games on it, its very stable no rebooting or anything apart from the ocassional freezing for a split secound which could be due to me opening several applications at the same time as me downloading and transfering files over the network.

Exact specs:

Intel Pentium D 925 (3.0ghz) Socket 775 FSB800 2x2mb Retail Boxed Processor
    NEC Optiarc AD-5170A-0B 18xDVD±RW DL Black
    Seagate ST3250820AS 250GB 7200RPM SATA300 8MB Cache
    Asus P5VD2-VM Socket 775 P4M900 VT8237a PCI-Ex16 mATX
    Crucial 1GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Memory Unbuffered CL5 Non-ECC 1.8V

--

Would you like me to set the settings so it wont reboot when it gets an error and paste what it says on the blue screen of death here?

2. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Forgot to mention the operating system which is Windows XP home!

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The one item I don't see there is the graphics card, which would be my prime suspect (or its drivers).

You should do that as a matter of course anyway! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only 2 times when I've had that happen to me was when:

1. I had faulty ram - PC ran fine until I played games and
    2. When the graphic's card wasn't up to stratch.

Download and try a memory tester to see if it's the ram or not. Like Harry already mentioned try upgrading the gc drivers.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

On board graphic, sound, lan etc :P im on a budget! The drivers which came with the motherboard turned out to be for Vista... so i uninstalled the graphic driver and installed the XP version.. but i still havent uninstalled the vista drivers for the sound, chipset etc. Could this be cuasing the problem?

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Seeing as it is an onboard graphics card, have you checked the memory setting in the bios?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. hbroomhall

Could well be the problem.

I'd wipe and start again, making sure that you used XP drivers. Old drivers hanging about can cause all sorts of problems sometimes.

Harry.

8. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

What would the settings have to do with anything, and no i havent what should i be looking for?

Also do i really need to format? :( i installed a cracked version of XP and blaged my way on the phone to microsoft to activate it for me and they did... damn that i means i got to blag again or buy a new one. I know you can get the activation cracks etc, but you cant bypass the update anymore and id need it to be secure!

9. hbroomhall

This is a VIA chipset board. The 4in1 drivers are absolutely crucial to it working right - so yes - you need to reinstall.

The reason that you need to look in the BIOS is that the graphics system uses shared memory (the performance will not be good I'm afraid) and the BIOS setting controls how much system memory is reserved for graphics.

Harry.

10. hbroomhall

I also note that the game manufacturer recomends downloading all the OS patches, plus game patches.

Harry.

11. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Gun...
    Foot...
    Aim...
    Fire!

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You installed a cracked version of XP, and you expect us to help save you from this situation, right? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Not really cracked as microsoft have activated it :P

14. BosonMichael

I don't care if God Himself activated it... if you don't have physical possession of a Windows XP license key that is valid for the computer you're running it on, then you're running an illegal copy of XP. :thumbdwn

Just because a bank handed me some money doesn't mean that it's OK that I robbed the bank. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

BM: most people do have copies of something om their home computers.

FLUID: You could be missing certain files that havent been installed properly and do it by just selecting the files (if you can find out what they are) on the windows disk and dowloading them probably wont work.

I would go for what harry said, format you pc delete the partition so everything is gone apart from BIOS, create a new partition and re-install.

But before you do that download memtest86 and check you ram is ok

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Step one
    buy a real copy of XP or install something free

Step two
    ask for help again :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. BosonMichael

Just because "most people do it" doesn't make it OK to do so. It's illegal.

If something is worth using (or reading, or watching, or listening to), then it's worth paying for. If you don't like paying for it, then don't buy it, and don't use it - there are plenty of lower-cost or free alternatives available.

Create something that can be distributed electronically (software, music, books, movies) and see how much *you* like it when someone steals *your* protected intellectual property without compensation. :x

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah I know what you mean, I would never use a copy of an OS anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps rebuild with an OEM copy of XP pro then patch it up. You may have problems installing security patches with cracked copy of XP home.

To be honest you really want to use a legit copy of XP....

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114053

Once patched up fire on all the latest XP drivers for your hardware and you should have a stable system ready for gaming. Not sure what the performace is like for games though with an on-board graphics card. You may want to upgrade to proper 'gaming' graphics card in the future.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Right this is what iv done now! Poped round a mates house last night borrowed a proper XP disk *Original* installed it with his serial etc. But not activated yet, order an oem xp home from ebuyer today, so when it arrives all i do is changed the cd key and activate it! :p :p :p :p

But the problem is still there... i unticked the box which says, reboot if error occurs so it doesnt reboot now when i launch a game... it goes to a black screen and it has several blue blocks on the screen and it just freezes.... any ideas?