New PC build - shortlist check over

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockstar6181, Jan 28, 2008.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

Alright guys, i have been away from PC building side of things for a about 5 years or so now and am looking to build a new pc. I would be using it for virtual PC set ups and also for some gaming/multi media etc. Further down the line(next couple of months) id like to get another 8800GTX in there to have SLI running and also another 2 Hard drives set to RAID 1. Also will be adding a wireless card and maybe a sound card too(will use onboard sound for now).

For time being though this is what I have shortlisted so far, comes to £1100 at the moment, is there anything that sticks out that is not suitable/bad rep etc

Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR, 95W, S775, 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache, Retail
    500 GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar SE16, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 NF680i SLI, S775, PCI-E(x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX
    Antec 900 - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case with 200m Top Fan w/o PSU
    600W Enermax Noisetaker SLi EG701AX-VE(W)-SFMA (20+4) SLi PCI-E READY aPFC Quiet
    768MB ScanFX 8800GTX, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1800 MHz, GDDR3, GPU 575 MHz, 2 x Dual Link DVI-I
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit 1Pk OEM (DVD)
    Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20x DVD±R, 10x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, SATA, Black, OEM
    22" Asus VW222S Black Widescreen LCD, 1680x1050, 2000:1, 300cd/m², 2ms, Speakers, VESA

cheers

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Seems ok to me, I am going to build a similar system in the summer see this thread http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread22501.html appaently the 512mb Nvidia cards are just as good as the 768 ones and they are cheaper :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Very nice, but I would give a good sound card high priority. No point cutting back now, so if budget is low look to getting only 2gigs of RAM substituted for the sound card.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend a different mobo, but otherwise, that looks to be solid. Like Math, I'd also recommend a high-quality sound card.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The main points have already been touched on really. An 8800GTX is a waste of money now that the 8800GT's are available. There are quite a few pre-overclocked GT's that are scoring higher than GTX's in most tests. The only area the GTX beats them at is high resolution AA tests. When I say high res, I mean higher than a 22" panel.

I'd get yourself a Creative X-FI OEM sound card (should be able to get that for less than 30 quid if you shop around). Especially if you are going to be using Vista as Creative seem to be more on the ball with drivers for Vista than some other manufacturers.

One final thing. The Samsung Spinpoint 500GB drives are currently one of the best (and fastest) 500GB drives money can buy, so it may be worth considering one of those instead of the western digi. Shouldn't be any more expensive either.

I don't know about that mobo, I tend to stick with Asus as they have just been superb with all the mobo's I have had in recent times. I check out some reviews (see if you can find a mobo roundup test) before going ahead.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

many thanks guys :D

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would reccomend an asus mobo aswell, the P5 series are good if your on a budget, or you could also go for a maximus formula like what im running as its excellent for OCing.

Im currently running samsung spinpoint drives aswell and they are cheaper than the drives you have picked mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for Asus mobos, if you're looking for a trustworthy alternative to the EVGA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!