new parts for my gaming pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddie benton, Mar 23, 2008.

1. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

sorry i for the double post but i didn't really see the point of posting in a old topic that not many people might see if i posted there

hay i decided to make a new topic as the old one is way down the list so people wont see it

and i have made quite of few changed to the parts i am going to buy

i have just ordered my self a

MSI 3870x2 Link http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

and 3 GB of ram Link http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...ode=1&NavigationKey=11150,404470000&InMerch=1

and the parts i am planning to buy are

Mobo: http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

CPU: http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...47%2c50521,4294957146,4294956104,48650000

Power : http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?TT-W0106

im just wondering if they will all work fine together

should i get a duel CPU or a quad? for a gaming computer

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're doing yourself a disservice if you get anything other than a C2D or C2Q these days.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

what are C2D or C2Q?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

BM mean Intel core 2 duo or core 2 quad.

I would get a quad cpu if I were you.

I have the pSU you are getting it is very good I also have the same type of RAM which is also good but why are you getting 3GB instead of 4GB?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

ah a few of my friends said that ati works better with amd mobo's and CPU then with Intel mobo's and cpu

is intel better with handling ati cards? or is amd better with ati handling cards?
    a

i would also like to cross fire with 2 3870x2 cards some time

i am going to buy the last 1GB of ram soon when abit of money after i buy my mobo and cpu

6. greenbrucelee

I have never heard this so I don't know if its true or not.

I would get them in matched pairs then so get the two 1GB now and two 1GB dimms later.

7. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

ah OK but i think im gonna stick with the amd mobo as it has cross fire and i cant seem to find any Intel mobo's that handle cross fire

unless you can link me a Intel mobo with cross fire on around £100 to £150 price

thanks

8. greenbrucelee

Asus maximus formula takes LGA775 cpus like Core 2 quads and it does crossfire http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ASU-MAXF

9. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

nice mobo

will it compatible will all the parts i have already and about to buy?

10. greenbrucelee

it wont do AMD its for intel CPUs.

11. BosonMichael

Those friends don't know what they're talking about. :) My ATI X850XT works *great* with my Intel mobo and Intel Core 2 Duo.

Both work well with ATI cards. Why don't you worry about which processor provides the most processing power for the money? :)

You can do that with either Intel and AMD. Just be sure to get a motherboard that supports it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

You're just not looking hard enough. :) What about the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe or the ASUS P5WD2-E Premium?

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you want 'bang for buck' then I think you are going about this build all wrong. As already mentioned, the current crop of Intel C2D's and C2Q chips are streets ahead of anything AMD is producing. I'm not an Intel fanboy or anything, every gaming system I have build in the last 10 years or so has been AMD based as they have always offered a very competetive price / performance ratio especially when building on a budget.

At the moment though Intel are way ahead and I recently built a C2D based system. Don't get fixated on clock speeds too much. It used to be much more siginficant than it is now with the current crop of chips. What I mean is, don't assume than an X2 running at 3Ghz is going to beat a C2D running at say 2.2Ghz. They would probably be very evenely matched despite the difference in speed, but the C2D would run cooler and consume less power.

Also, X2 & SLI is a real waste of your money. If you want better benchmark scores then by all means go ahead, but if you are more concerned with real world game performance, then you wont be getting good value for money by going down either route (ATI Crossfire, or Nvidia SLI).

Also in a similar way to the current dominance of Intel over AMD, Nvida are currently wiping the floor with ATI/AMD when it comes to performance and more specifically value for money.

The Nvida G92 based 512MB 8800GT is an incredible buy at the moment. It's got 8800GTX performance for a very low price in comparison. Also recent examples of the 9600GT (the pre-overclocked versions) have also been offering very good performance for a very low price. Avoid any card with less than 512MB of ram though (with the possible exception of the 320MB 8800GTS) as they have been suffering, particularly on DX10 based benchmarks and game framerate tests.

If you are interested in the Intel / Nvida route, I can certainly recommend some good combinations. If you end up going down the AMD route, then good luck with it. I doubt you'll regret it as they still make good chips, but 'd rather have something more powerful for the same money. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

i will probably go with the Nvida and intel route as they have more money to build better chips in the future and now

i have orderd the MSI 3870x2 i can still cancel it

would the 9600 Nvidia be better quality and better price (£120)? the the £260 card?

15. greenbrucelee

I would get the 8800gt 512MB card as it has the same perfomance as the GTX which costs about £200 more, Also look at Asus mobos they are very good and as for processors have a look at quad core qx6700.

16. BosonMichael

I would also agree with this statement.

Rep given. Good post, Modey!

17. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

cool thanks for the info

the mobo Asustek S775 nForce 780i DDR2 ATX AUDIO LAN 3 WAY SLI cought my eye as it has SLI and my Pentium D can fit in it till i can buy a quad

and the GPU i think i might get is the Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 PCIE Dual DVI 700/1.9

18. greenbrucelee

Sounds better, always shop around till you find the best prices for your compnents.

This is just a quick list of components from novatech I priced up for £854 including vat

Antec P182 Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU £72.50

NEC Optiarc AD-7191A 20x Lightscribe DVD+/-RW/RAM Black IDE OEM £16.33

BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB PCI Express Graphics Card - Retail £128.00

Samsung Spin Point SATAII NCQ 500GB 16Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive <9.0ms 7200rpm - OEM £50.50

Asus P5K Premium WiFi-AP, iP35, S 775, PCI-E x16, DDR2 1066/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX £98.00

Intel Quad Core Q6700 4 x 2.66Ghz 8Mb Cache 1066 FSB Quad Core Processor £283.00

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 CPU Cooler £15.80

ThermalTake Toughpower Series Cable Management 700W Active £59.50

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I would advise that you have a good look at some of the hardware review sites and make your own mind up as it's your money in the end. www.guru3d.com is a good one to start with. There are of course many others. I haven't researched the recent ATI/AMD cards much to be honest. Of the reviews I have read of their recent offerings, the phrase 'this Nvida based card has the same or better performance for less money' tends to crop up an awful lot. There is nothing wrong with them, just as the X2 6000+ is a perfectly good chip. Value for money is where you will lose out.

As GBL mentioned though, I'd opt for the 512MB 8800GT before I'd go for the 9600. The 9600 is cheaper card and although it's 'almost' as fast, it falls by the wayside more in the higher end DX10 tests.

p.s. Here is a conclusion from a Guru3D review of the 3870 card.

edit: Forgot to add, the availability issues that it mentions in the article of the 8800GT no longer apply. It was just thin on the ground when it first came out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

thanks alot for the information

i had a look at toms hard ware and decided i was going to go with the 8800gt

i ordered them both from nova tech

how long do they normally take to deliver? i clicked next day delivery it only cost &#163;2 lol are they like dabs? always comes 1 or 2 days after ordering? (for me any way)