New OU Course...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dmarsh, Nov 16, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well it looks like the OU may be offering a new course for 2009 :-

Digital worlds: designing games, creating alternative realities (See p27)
    T151

Now its not likely to get anyone a job, or make them a programmer but it just might be quite interesting and a better way to spend your time than WOW. It appears it's yet to receive final approval so fingers crossed.

Theres also this :-

Web server management, performance and tuning
    TT382

Plus theres plenty of other interesting courses for those that fancy giving it a go.

- Dave

2. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Digital Worlds Blog Site :-

http://digitalworlds.wordpress.com/

3. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

I have done a few of the OU ten point courses in web design which are probably the same format as this course (hard to say until it's been thru a few iterations i suppose). The first one came with really good books, and the rest had all the books online which made studying while travelling almost impossible. I found them fairly intense and they were £165 a pop so not sure about value for money. On the upside it makes you a bit more disciplined about self-study knowing you have xyz to be done in a certain amount of time

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The BSc 30 & 60 point courses with manuals and DVD's seem reasonable value.

The MSc seems a total Rip-Off at around £10k.

Not sure about the short courses, they look ok but I agree, I'd definitely want printed materials.

What is the format for your course? Do you have tutorials ? Is it all CMAs ? Are there any TMAs or exams ?

5. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

The format was all online, not too surprising i suppose seeing it's "tech" course. There were 3 mini assignments thru out the course (1 due every 3 or 4 weeks) which was multiple choice questions (usually approx 20, the answers to some of them and the marking was a bit dubious i thought) and then a bigger assignment at the end of the course (usually something that tied in all aspects of the course, for example a mini website accompanied by a report saying why each bit was done in the manner you did it).

There was no face to face tutorials, but there was online forums. These were generally alright to use until it came to the big assignment at the end where the tutor would be vague about what was being asked in the course for fear of being seeing to be giving too much help :blink which was a bit frustrating.

I think tho if you're going to do something like this try rope in a friend or make friends with someone who lives nearby so you can chew it over as you go along.

Suppose overall its not as bad as i make it out to be! I just found it I was always pushed for time and for the 10 or 12 weeks it seemed to take over

6. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I think the OU are great; I attempted a Java course 5 years back, and even though I didn't have the time to complete it, I was impressed with the overall experience.

There was a writing course the OU offered this year, but closing date was in October, I missed by a month, the next one starts next October. A shame that their courses are not more frequent.

7. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

is that the 10 point creative writing one by any chance? the girlfriend is doing it and thinks it's really good, nicely paced and challenging but not too tough. You should go for it if you're interested!

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm doing the 10 point 'start writing essays' before starting my degree course in Feb - really engaging, and great prep material for higher study :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I think that is the one. I'm going to do 'The Writer's Bureau' and see how that progresses side-by-side with MCDST.

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

damn this has got me thinking about a degree again! Just emailed them asking for help on what to choose!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

hehe - I've just got the registration forms for the 2 30-point courses I'm starting in January - really looking forward to it :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293