New Open University Networking Secruity Course...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dmarsh, Sep 9, 2011.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The Open University have launched a new course :-

T828 - Network security - Open University Course

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

That's a nice addition. A pity it's only for their post grad courses.
    Their info doesn't appear to be quite correct though on sitting the course, they list the CCNA as not being a pre-requisite. I think you'd struggle big time without CCNA knowledge. I don't think Cisco will acredit any exam pass either without the CCNA.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

They do say:

"You do not need CCNA certification to successfully complete this Open University course. However, there is a Cisco requirement that to become fully CCNP certified, you must already have CCNA certification. The CCNA curriculum is taught on Cisco networking (CCNA) (T216)."

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

That's my point, it does mention that if you want to be CCNP certified you'll need the CCNA. What it doesn't mention is that if you actually want to be CCNA Security certified (the course they are offering) you will also need to be a CCNA.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Don't understand why there is mention of CCNP.....

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Me neither, I just wish they'd allow these courses as part of the main degree programmes instead of just post-grad.

I quite like the OU and it's realistically the only way I'll ever get round to gaining a degree.

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Surely you can take the course anyway ?

8. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Yes of course, but to be honest, I would really only take an OU course of that sort for the points towards a degree.
    If I just needed the CCNA (S) certification I'd self study and complete it in a much shorter time frame.

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't know the path after CCNA (got ICND1 next Friday), but I was pointing out to billyr that they do acknowledge that the CCNA is a Cisco requirement for the cert, but not for the open university credit.

10. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Apologies for being slightly off topic but....

I see mention of a few considering an OU degree, I myself intend to start one in Feb next year.

However in case you are not aware, the cost of studying with OU is increasing quite dramatically. From around 5k for the whole degree, to a set price of 5k per 120 points, meaning 15k for a degree.

The only exception is students who have started or are currently studying towards a degree between now and Sep 2012. These people will continue to pay the current fees the all of their remaining courses.

Fees 2012 | Study Explained | Open University

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Baisakhi

Baisakhi New Member

Hello every1!!
    I am new in software field. I need help. Is there anyone who can help me for software testing practicals and tools?

12. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Wow, that just blows how off-topic I was out of the water :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  13. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I think you're reading it wrong. What they are pointing out is that CCNA is a requirement for CCNP.
    Yet the course they are offering is CCNA Security, which also requires the CCNA if you wish to gain the certification.

14. sahmed

sahmed Bit Poster

Hello everyone.

I stumbled across this thread whilst searching for information about CCNA security.

Anyway, I am interested in this course and I am quite unsure if I should pursue it as I have never used OU before.

I have been self studying for CCNA Security and CCNP for the last year and have just about finished my studies, but still need to sit the exams............

With OU I have checked that I will receive some financial help. The course itself cost £1310.00 which is a huge amount for this course. I am just wondering if they will cover all the costs? I don't have this amount of money atm because I spent it on books and INE bootcamps..............

Can I study this course alone?

15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes you can take an OU class in isolation, you might want to look at commsupport as well.

OU postgrad qualifications are not as good value as undergrad qualifications.

Most undergrad courses were around 400-500 quid which seemed reasonable.

Its a real shame the price is going up, I think the OU might just price themselves out of existence.

You can do a fulltime degree abroad, you can use MIT open courseware etc.

People would be crazy to pay 15k to get an OU degree.

You are not on a fulltime residential course, you are not getting direct tuition everyday, in general distance learning should not cost £500 a month. Basically you get some books and DVD's and a little support, thats not worth £500 pm for most subjects.

Its a real shame because most of the rest of the HE system is geared up towards 18-24 year olds, the OU was the one real option for many other people who wanted to improve their education.

I can only see England getting dumber from these measures, which is hardly going to help us compete in a global marketplace. I think English, Maths and the Sciences should continue to get government funding.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  16. sahmed

sahmed Bit Poster

Just researched this more and have found out there is no financial help towards this course as it counts towards a postgraduate, this is bizzare tbh. CCNA security is a much more entry level cert. I thought CCNP would fit into a postgraduate degree. Well I guess I stick with self study and perhaps a traning provider.

17. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's a pity. I was contemplating looking seriously at this for the next academic year, once I get another 2-3 certs out of the way I'll pretty much be over-certified for my experience level and it did look like an affordable way of progressing my studies. I can't see me being able to justify such a cost now it's basically tripled.

18. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I was going to say me too, £5,000 per 120 points, that's a rediculous amount for what is in effect just e-learning.

But being Jockanese it appears our fees will not be changing.

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What you are not realising (and some others I think also) is that this isn't a course (well they are really called modules now) designed to help you pass a certification. It's a module that will gain you OU points towards the particular goal you may have, be it a degree, masters etc...

It may well map very closely to the objectives of the CCNA Security, but then again it may only partially map towards them and that would mean you could use it to help you pass the CCNA Security, but it would probably require quite a bit of extra study over and above what is required for the module.

This is also the case with the TM128 module (Microsoft Server Technology). Whilst the materials for the module cover the Network+ and two different MCTS's, the module itself has quite a narrow focus on certain topics, so you would need to do a lot of extra work in order to pass the certs mentioned. Ultimately, it's there to get you 30points at level 1 towards an OU degree ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
    JonnyMX and wagnerk like this.
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This ^

:thumbleft

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD