New Microsoft certifications and Vista/Server 2008

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITMatt, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

This may have already been asked several times. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

The company I'm working for plan to migrate to Windows Vista/Server 2008 around the beginning of 2008. I've recently started studying towards the MCSE. Should I begin focusing on the new Microsoft certifications and forget about MCSE?

The more research I do, the more confusing it becomes in regards to Microsoft certifications.

What is the ideal next step towards becoming a network engineer?

Many thanks

Matt

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Keep studying for the MCSE, Windows 2003 will still be here for a looong time to come. I deal with places that still use 2000.

If it works, why fix it?

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This really depends on alot of things, but imo it boils down to:

1. How far down the MCSE route are you?

2. Do you already have required experience?

and we're not just talking helpdesk here.

3. When exactly is your company going to make the move next year? Alot of companies will say early next year but in reality it will be mid to end of next year. Remember Server 2008 will not be released until Feb 2008 (so far).

The Server 2003 is still a viable certification track especially when Server 2008 is not proven yet in the industry. Alot can happen between now and next year, Server 2008 can be pushed back, you may decided to leave and get another job with a different company, etc.

If you're happy to start studying now you could start your MCSA 2003 and then do the upgrade exams for the 2008 when you've reached the required experience. Or you can start studying for the Vista certifications: if you do the 70-620 (you'll get the MCTS: Vista) and if you combine it with the 70-622, you'll get the MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech.

So in the end it really depends on you and how you feel. If you take a look at my community profile, you'll see that I've started on the 2000 route and have done the upgrade exams up to the current Vista/2008 (awaiting results), but that's just how I've developed my career.

Hope this kinda helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said... ALL of it is true, including the Windows 2000 comment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What i would do.. is keep on the current MCSE 2003 track and take 70-620 as your elective THEN take the 622 exam and become Enterprise Support on Vista. Once you completed your MCSE you will need 3 exams to upgrade to the MCITP because you will already have the vista one.. now i think thats what wagnerk more or less said.... :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

Why become an Enterprise Support Techie when you are MCSE?

Yes, you are right about doing 70-620 instead of 70-270, and yes, you "only" need 3 exams for becoming MCITP:enterprise admin when you are MCSE 2003 allready.

But depending on the experience you have I think most people will do all 5 exams to become an Enterprise Admin. It's easier studying with smaller portions of knowledge.

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  7. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Because your company is going to be an early adopter, I would suggest going with the Vista/2008 track, but I have two questions. What is your role in the migration? How far along are you in the MCSE 2003 track?

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Why not? The EST & MCSE covers different objectives and different technologies. And just because someone has a MCSE doesn't mean that he/she knows everything at all levels, being:

PowerUser: MOS/MOUS/MCAS/MCAP
    Level 1: MCDST/MCITP: EST
    Level 2: MCSA/MCITP: SA
    Level 3: MCSE/MCITP: EA
    Level 4: MCA

No matter what level you achieve, you have to make sure that you have a good solid base.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely correct.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. GW

GW Byte Poster

You could go for the Vista exam since that will cover your Client exam requirement but stick with the 2003 track since there is a lot of material available for that to study from and the majority of the knowledge you gain from the 2003 track will apply to the 2008 track. After you get the MCSE 2003 title you can start studying for the upgrade exams and get a dual certifications (2003 and 2008).

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  11. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Sorry about my delayed response - work!

There is some great advice here, but to give you a little more on my background. I have recently completed the CompTIA A+ and N+ exams, and I was looking towards starting the MCSE 2003 or MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.

I understand that it can take up to 3 years to pass all the required exams for MCSE 2003, and I anticipate many companies migrating to Windows Server 2008/Vista by that time, or am I mistaken? On top of that, I am also studying for an OU degree and the CCNA exams, which will add extra time on to that.

I'd like to keep ahead, whilst at the same time ensuring that there are no gaps in my knowledge. I am in 2nd Line Support at the minute and would like to become a Network Administrator/Engineer within the next 3-5 years.

With this additional information, what would be the best route to take now?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  12. theskillsgap

theskillsgap New Member

its coming.....thats all i can say for you at present
    courses are ready, and the channel gets its btasters of upgrade courses in the coming months...

would tell you more but would have to kill you....

exams are in final beta aswell

justin