New memeber looking to get Certs

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Coupe2T, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

New to the forum as you can obviously see as this is my first post.

Looking at doing some certs and ideally working my way towards a Network security type role. I've done various work within IT environments for the last few years such as Operations etc but now I want to get certs and further my career etc.

Any good courses / books / career paths you guys wanna offer would all be appreciated. Gonna start at the bottom with the N+, that much I know, then not sure where after that, CCNA would probably be the obvious choice I guess???

Cheers

J

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome

What is the various IT work you have done?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Only basic stuff, did a few years on a helpdesk where I did 2nd line support issues over the phone, Then I did a couple of years on Operations monitoring systems and batch jobs etc in ControlM / Tivoli and the likes, now I schedule jobs in ControlM and look after the companies SAP Archiving system. So learned a few basics but difficult where I am to learn enough and find a position to move into as no one ever leaves! (Although we will all be leaving soon due to outsourcing, hence my decision to get on now and get certs).

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The Network+ isn't the "bottom". ;)

That depends on your experience. If you have any hands-on, real-world experience with Cisco routers, then yes, the CCNA is worth pursuing. If not, then I'd say you should focus on a certification that DOES reflect your experience level.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Well unfortunately I have virtually no experience at all with networking, it's just something that appeals to me so whatever certification I follow into networking isn't really going to reflect my experience level as such. :-(

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then it's not likely to help your career as such. :) Employers hiring people to administer routers aren't going to hire someone with a certification and no experience... and employers hiring people to do other IT jobs aren't going to need someone who knows how to do Cisco router administration. See what I mean? ;)

Do you have any Windows-based server admin experience?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!