Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sharkster, Apr 4, 2011.

1. sharkster

sharkster New Member

Hi to all and just want to say this site is awesome!

I'm looking to study and take the MS exam Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring AD 70-640.

What books are the best for this topic? I have limited server experience but have the following server:

Dual core x 2 - 1.6, 8gb of ram and 2 x 500gb sata drives.

What time of enviroment do i need to build. I was thinking of a server 2008 build with 2 VM's (workstations)

Any ideas?....any help would be much appreciated!

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Do you have any previous experience, or any other certifications at entry level - and what sort of experience have you got within Windows server?

To take the AD exam you're going to want a domain setup with an AD forest (Possibly two) You'll also want a DNS setup with it aswell, some group policies - quite a fair bit on top of all this as well

Books are a bit vague at the moment - as the exams for Server 2k8 now focus on R2, and R2 does have a lot of new features - the only book i've found for R2 is due to be released later this month.

I'd advise installing R2 if at all possible, and get the study books for R2. I'm waiting on This one

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. sharkster

sharkster New Member

Nice one Mate!

My experience is 1st/2nd and some 3rd line support. I have 4 years experience but have just been given an opportunity to move onto a solutions architect role. I know i have a lot to learn but have experience administrating users and some of AD stuff related to outlook.

I will look to install server 2k8 R2 and mess around with hyper V. The role will lead to designing virtual environments so i need to get some serious knowledge on servers before i move onto the virtual exams.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Cool stuff, only asked about the experience as wasn't sure if you've used AD before from your original post - otherwise i'd of said do some basic stuff first :mrgreen:

I'm in the same boat as you - 5 years exp doing various roles, been offered a role in infrastructure, so i'm studying the 2008 server route - going for the MCITP:SA

Just waiting on the damn book! :D

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. sharkster

sharkster New Member

I managed to get hold of some CBT nuggets for 70-640 which look very useful. The book looks good btw. Just looking for someone who has used any books which helped them pass the exam and found the books easy to understand.

I was thinking of having the following setup which i found on another post here:

Server 1 - Server OS 2008 R2 - 4GB
    Server 2 - HyperV - Exchange 2007 - 2GB
    Server 3 - HyperV - Terminal Server - 2GB

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Keep in touch mate and hopefully we can help each other and pass the exams!