New Member (need help)

Discussion in 'A+' started by nemthapa, Aug 16, 2007.

1. nemthapa

nemthapa New Member

Dear All,

Hello to every one out there in IT world. After so many research I've just purchased A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide (All-In-One) online for £20.24 hoping to change my job from security guard to IT staff. Could some one please help me with my first few queries they are;

1) What would be the recommended time of studying the book?
    2) Is this book for both the exams?
    3) What about of hardware for practical? I do have latest (Dell, window vista) desk top at home but the problem is due to my professional locked up on duty for 12 hours six days week. The computers at duty is very old one and secondly is not for training purpose. Would buying a second hand laptop help me?

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
    Nem Thapa
    UK

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

1. As I recall, the book in question outlines about how much time it should take to master the material relative to your level of experience. Keep in mind, it's really a guideline since there are so many variables that affect learning.

2. The part of the title that says "All-in-One" is no lie. It should contain everything you need for the exams.

3. Don't waste your money on the latest and greatest. In fact, I don't think they even ask that many questions about XP and I'm sure none relative to Vista. Just get a cheap PC or two and have at it.

It's been about a billion years since I passed my A+ exams and back in the day, you got few to no questions on laptops. I can't tell you whether or not that's changed, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

By the way, welcome to CertForums. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

if the A+ is anything like the N+ its way behind on technology. iirc it doesn't mention windows XP, anything newer than a pentium 3 and nor does it mention DDR or PCI-E. to be honest you could get away with just learning the syllabus but getting a PC (even several years old) and taking it to bits/modifying/upgrading will be a bonus.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

The 2006 A+ exams are a lot more updated then the previous exams (obviously) but they don’t have any reference to vista, its only windows 2000 and XP and only refers to previous windows versions for upgrading.

On CompTIA website (A+ home page http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx) it has exam objectives which will help you to see if your book covers what you need to know.

I'd recommend you buy a second hand PC and play around with that rather then a laptop as PC's are covered more in A+ then Laptops.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :D

if your book is the 6th edition by Mike Meyers it covers the 4 exams 2 of which you have to take to become A+ certified

The book covers everything you need to know,a nother good book to get is PC technician street smarts by James Pyles who is on this forum under the name of Tripwire45.

Get a cheap PC and I mean a cheap one to practice stuff on mine cost £30

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

The A+ wasnt that bad, even the 2003 objectives covered XP etc.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house