new member need advice pls

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by thewhan, Dec 23, 2009.

1. thewhan

thewhan New Member

Hi everyone, This is all new to me so please bare with if i mess up. Looking at a new career in IT starting from scratch, been in touch with a training provider (national IT learning centre) they sound good but not sure if its worth the amount of money. The course is comptia A+, comptia network+ and microsoft certified IT profesional- enterprise support technician. that is at entry level, any information on this company would be most appriciated or would i be better off doing home study. thanx

2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Personal opinion - study at home, take your time over doing it, enjoy the material you are learning - and don't study for the exams purely for the reason of passing them, study to learn the material.

As for training companies - they work for some, others they don't - I'd rather keep my £1000's and spend it on other things!

Edit - Hi and welcome BTW!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Pretty much what he said. ^

The main stength of a TP is that they exploit newbies' ignorance of the certification business and make it seem like magic that only they can unravel.

A decent TP doesn't need to do that.

This forum will tell you what you need to do in terms of certs and study methods.
    If you can self-study, go for it.
    If you're happier in a classroom or with an instructor, then go for it.

Just do your homework first.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. thewhan

thewhan New Member

Thanx for your input, looks like you know about IT, if i got those qualifications do you think i could get my foot in the door at 36yrs old.

5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Go for MCDST or A+ to start with whilst applying for roles, 1st line or desktop support.

Two thoughts

• You never know unless you try
    • Don't try to run before you can walk

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can always get your foot in the door.
    You just need the right opportunity and a bit of luck.

The mistake is to think that having a list of certs is the key to it all.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

36 means you've got at least another 24 years work left in you... so, go for it! :D