New Member, MCSE course

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BrianC, Aug 17, 2007.

1. BrianC

BrianC New Member

Hello to everyone,

I'm just about to start an MCSE course with Advent. After working in the retail automotive industry for nearly 30 years a change of direction is on the cards. I can't wait!

Brian

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: MCSE
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Have you investigated the self-study route instead of going with a training provider? Can save you a fortune.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

Welcome BrianC,

Which course will you be taking? Maybe i have a couple of 'intelligent' questions you can ask your trainer :twisted:

Guido

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  4. BrianC

BrianC New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I decided on the distance learning course as I can fit it in around my existing position. Advent also have an affiliation with a local college so I don't have far to travel to take the exams. My existing job is not always 8.30 to 5.30 if we have a problem I have stay until its sorted.

Brian

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: MCSE
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I was looking to go with Advent but after reading around on here I've decided self study is better for me.

You don't shell out £4,700 for a start. As for their classrooms, it's taught on a pretty basic level from what I've read and the adviser who came to my house even said that you don't need it to pass any exams. Also by going self study, you're more in control of where you take your studies.

The Advent course doesn't do the CompTIA N+ (network+) course either, which, from what I gather, is a very handy cert to have when you are looking to get into IT.

As for the online tutor help you receive, I think it's just as easy to go online and hit google and then, if you're still stuck, come on here and ask away - many people here seem more than willing to help.

There is a rough self study guide on here too, maybe you missed it I don't know. It basically estimates something like £1500 for passing an MCSE (possibly with N+ can't remember) if I remember correctly, this also includes having build a new pc.

Many people on this forum recommend having an old pc which you can take to bits and re-build as a learning tool when studying the A+, I'm sure it would be just as beneficial when you're doing the Advent course too, as well as, buying the mike myers book which Advent do not supply.

Either way it's ultimately your decision and if you feel more comfortable having a training provider behind you then you should go for it but I would make sure you think it through very hard before throwing awar nearly £5,000 - after loan, maybe more.

I don't know if you're planning on getting their Clydesdale bank offer which gives you 1 year interest free but I asked the guy what the interest was like after that year and he told me it was 'high'. He then recommended getting a lower interest loan after the year was out, this doesn't seem very good from where I'm standing.

Advent promise to pay for any re-sits but I was talking to one of my friends from Birmingham who was also looking to do the MCSE. He told me he found somewhere online where people had posted complaining that they had in fact not been given their free re-sits. CHECK THE CONTRACT VERY THOROUGHLY

The help looking for a job after the course they offer, well I'm sure you will have places, like I'VE found here, that offer to do a CV for you for free or even for a small fee - still cheaper than paying advent.

I read that a lot of the help job searching they do for you basically comes down to them sending you job adverts asking for 2 years experience etc. these are obviously not something you have simply by attending the college.

I hope this wasn't too long, just trying to give you my opinion and some facts I found.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+