NEW Member - JustIT - Please help??? JUST IT and CompTIA A+

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by musa2006, Jun 28, 2010.

1. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

Hi All,

I have recently joined the IT Industry...

I need a little advice and guidance please.

I started with JOSKOS, I completed my IT Fundamentals, I then wanted to do my MCDST. I just found the jump from IT Fundamentals to MCDST too big.
    http://www.joskos.co.uk/index.asp?campaign=jos&gclid=CPS1j7nUwqICFaCX2Aod_gcaZw

I then looked around and got a little advice from various people. They recommended that i do my CompTIA A+, once successfully completing that I should start my MCDST.

I just feel that all these training providers are all in it for the money. So if this is the case how does some one get the correct advice without incurring large amounts of debts...

I need some help and guidance please.

I enrolled at JOSKOS, for my IT Fundamental and MCDST. They promised me the world and have received nothing reallyI have since been looking for a good training provider to assist me to do my CompTIA A+, i know you can buy a book. I would like to have something classroom bassed.

I came across a training provider by the name of JUST IT.
    http://www.justit.co.uk/it_courses/comptia

They are offering the following:

The course package consists of,

CompTIA A+ 701 and 702
    XP & Server
    CCNA

The course work is broken down as follows,

A+ 701 & 702 (2 weeks) 09:30 - 16:30 Mon - Fri

then, 3 weeks HOME STUDY...

after the 3 weeks home study you return and start you XP & Server (2 weeks) 09:30 - 16:30 Mon - Fri

You will need to enrol for your course yourself and pay it your self, cost = £500 for all (they said I save £120 this way)

once you have completed these 7 weeks, they say if you feel confident you can enrol for your exam. If not you can return and do the above mentioned over until you feel confident for 18 months...

If you successfully pass all 4 your exams, they will find you work placement for 4 - 6 weeks... (UNPAID)

If the work placement is happy with your preformance they might consider employing you...

The cost for all this come at a very reasonable price of £3995.00... Is this normal??? If so why so expensive???

I could do 2 year of my Foundation Degree for this price.

Please can anyone give me some advice and guidance on the above...

Thank you

Certifications: IT Fundamentals,CompTIA A+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just out if interest, what did you think they were in it for?

Having made that decision, I'm not sure why your immediate response has been to look at another TP.

There are loads of helpful posts here about how you can get through things like the A+ without massive expense or having to jump through someone elses hoops.

Personally, the first thing I'd do if you feel that MCDST is too hard for you is to get a cheap book or study guide for the A+ (you may be able to get one from your library). Have a look at it and see if you think it's achieveable before making any plans.

It doesn't matter how much you pay or who you train with, if you can't do it you're going to be in trouble.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is why a lot of people self study instead of using a TP.

Usually you should do A+,N+ then MCDST and no further until you have experience.

If you found the MCDST too big a jump then you will find XP and server a massive leap and then CCNA (which you shouldn't do without experience) like jumping the grand canyon especially without the n+ behind you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), regarding TP's just use the search button on the forums as there's lots topic and advice on this issue.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

@JonnyMX

Thank you for your reply.

I know we all need to make money, however what i ment from my statment is that they promise soo much but acually dont help you that much. once you have paid the fees, its downhill from there...

As i experienced with JOSKOS, they dont return your calls and if you need help or advice they dont care...

On a more important note,

so would you recommend me to do CompTIA or should i just get a book and try move onto MCDST? Is the CompTIA a important factor to employers?

thank you

6. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your advice.

can anyone recommend any study guide to complete my A+ and N+?

7. greenbrucelee

the MCDST will look better to an employer but it would be better for you to get the A+ and N+ before it.

compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 7th edition by Mike Meyers and www.professermesser.com his free video are good
    compTIA Network+ all in one exam guide 4th edition by Mike Meyers and prof messer videos.
    PC technician street smarts by Jame Pyles.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  8. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

@greenbrucelee,

Thank you for your help and advice...

9. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

I Have the Mike Meyers 7th edition. it just got into so much depth for a beginner...

"PC technician street smarts by Jame Pyles" would this be good for the 701 and 702 exams?

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed mate, it's been the subject of much debate on these forums. As a rule, most companies exist to make money. In return they provide goods or a service. Unfortunately all too often these goods or services may be not up to scratch. The problem with something like a training course is that it can be very difficult indeed to get anything done about it, which is why companies like this are surviving in a generally unregulated marketplace.

I would say that depends on the employer and what sort of work they'll be asking you to do. If it's a company that wants you to be swapping out power supplies and borked graphics cards on their PCs, then an A+ may be useful. If on the other hand they want you to be doing remote assistance for multiple users across a network then MCDST might look better.

But as I think we've said before, you've got to start somewhere. Many fleeting visitors here have bungled everything completely by asking questions like 'what looks best on my CV' and 'which job role gets paid the most' rather than 'what am I interested in' or 'what are my abilities'.

As a result they generally launch themselves into a completely unrealistic agenda whilst ignoring our advice and often fall prey to the worst kind of TP. They end up out of pocket with their desire to work in IT destroyed all together.

So, try not to worry what looks best to other people and try to think about what it is that you want to do whilst being realistic about what your current level of ability is. There is always tomorrow.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Who?

:biggrin

12. greenbrucelee

James Pyles is a member here uner name Tripwire45 his book is lab book with exercises where you learn how to install hardware and operating systems and diagnose problems this is a very good book for the A+ and for general learning.

but you will need the Meyers book as a full on book for the A+, and his book is about as fun as you will find to learn from there are a lot of very dry boring books out there and Mike Meyers' books definetly are not.

13. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

yeah I agree, this is the BIG problem... they should be delivering a good level or service which they dont... I been doing research on the internet and you can find tens of thousands of these types on TP.

I am a hands on person, i enjoy being under the hood. As well as solving software issuse.

I work once or twice a week at a computer shop, and help them solve various problem.

This leads me to believe that the best route is to complete my A+ and N+. This will give me a good foundation to IT and from there I can improve my understanding and get more experience and move ahead... what u think?

I was a electronics engineer for 5 years and been working on computer for about 1 year, so im not a complete novice.

can you recommend any study guides that would be suitable for me to complete the above mentiond courses?

I have Mike Meyer 7th edition, book is like 1300 pages long... so by I got half way i forgot the beginning.:-)

Any suggestions???

thank you

14. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

but will the James Pyles book be enought for my 701 & 702 exam? or would i need to do both?

15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Read it again :p

Sorry, Mike's book is the best your going to find for the A+ so you've just got to stick at it! http://www.professormesser.com/ can give you a break from the books and may help some of the information 'stick'.

Other than that, grab some decent practice exams from the likes of Boson, Transcender and Preplogic, these can help you find your weak areas and quite often provide a nice little confidence boost when you find out you actually know more than you thought you did!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. greenbrucelee

As I said no it is a lab book that just has excerises for you to complete.

THe Meyers book is an easier read than anything else you will find.

you might want to try www.professormesser.com his free A+ streams are good This will help you alot but I already mentioned this too.

spelled the url wrong have corrected it now

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice already given above. :) With the Meyers and Pyles books, you should have everything you need. If you want to find out if you're ready, a practice exam is a worthwhile investment. And like all investments, you typically get what you pay for - so don't just get the cheapest stuff out there - download demos from each company and compare them for yourself!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I've also had good luck with practice exams from Ucertify.com (in addition to PrepLogic, Transcender, TotalSeminars, ExamCram which is MeasureUp) Boson has a good rep. on this forum as well as some good contributors but I didn't find out about them until after my A+ and their Network+ is 2 exams old now...

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, Network+ is one of the few exams that we haven't updated to ExSim-Max levels. I'm hopeful that we will knock it out soon, but it is possible that we might wait for the next revision.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!