New Member Intro

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Robbie56, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Robbie56

Robbie56 New Member

HI,
    i have just joined the forum, and woul dlike to introduce myself.

My Name is Rob, i am working as a data systems officer in a large FE college, where i have been for nearly 3 years. before this i have had several database application developer type jobs for the last ten years or so.

i decided to get a MS cert in order to improve my job prospects and started the A+ and MCDST.
    i started this about 3 years ago, and have made little progress, but i'm hoping to start studying again and get cracking at it this time.

i dont think the A+ is going to provide me with a great deal of career advancement, and am only really interested in taking the MCDST as a route to getting a MCSE, MCSA or MCDBA type cert.

if anyone knows when the MCDST cert is due to expire i would like to know that.

thanks
    Rob

WIP: A+, mcdst
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don't think there has been an official response from Microsoft yet to when the exams will retire.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

I imagine MCDST will still be around for some time yet.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Robbie56

Robbie56 New Member

the info on expiry date not being anytime soon is a big releif!

i signed up thru computeach which cost me an arm and a leg and just couldnt find the time to study so was really worried that the exam would be worthless soon.

thanks for your posts.
    Rob

WIP: A+, mcdst
  5. Mrs Doyle

Mrs Doyle New Member

Hi Robbie56

Welcome to the forums

Regarding you're question

If it was me trying to decide which course I would do, have a look at the book comments on Amazon for A+ and MCDST, you can sometimes see snipets on whats in the books also, which may help you decide.

if it was me I would do A+, mcdst and then see what type of job role I was in then and decide from there.

I think the MCDST will be around for at least 4 years

Hope this helps

:)

WIP: (BA Hons) Business & Management
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

HI & welcome to CF :)

I would imagine that the MCDST exams (not the credential as currently it's for life) will retire around the time the extended support stops (give or take), but that's just my opinion based on Window 2000 retirement dates. Microsoft will release retirement dates 1 year before it retires.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685