New member-bit of study advice needed

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by russ-t-2000, Feb 22, 2008.

1. russ-t-2000

russ-t-2000 Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Started studying for MCDST in September after 10 years of tinkering with pc`s.
    I`ve got the exam cram books and am using those in conjunction with the CBT nuggets videos.Also got the transcender pack.

I`ve seen mention of the MS press books,and heard these are the best,can someone point me in the direction of these,and let me know exactly what i`m after here[are they the blue covered books?]

Studying is going well,i`m learning more each week,and know i still have a lot more to learn yet,and want to make sure i can give myself a real chance of passing these exams,which i can take in June at the earliest!

Certifications: MCP MCDST
    WIP: 70-261 MCITP or could be 70-620 !!!
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Yep, they are, here's the Amazon link

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF

Good luck with the exams :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & welcome to CF:biggrin:sunny

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...
    Good luck with the studies

7. russ-t-2000

russ-t-2000 Bit Poster

Thanks harpistic for the info,i`ll get those books too,seems logical that books made by the people that set the questions that the OS is based on,would make the best reference material!!! :blink
    Thanks for the welcome too-looks good here!!

8. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

Welcome!

Sounds very similar to my own position. I have been in IT for a long time and only recently started studying for the MCDST. I have actually found it quite challenging! I'm not brilliant at taking exams, and although I am scoring quite well in the mock tests am a nervous wreck. Even so, I'm learning so much about XP that I didn't know it's all worth it (pass or fail) and has improved performance in my job (which is the ultimate aim of any certification I guess).

Good luck with your studying and your exams!

WIP: Many
  9. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

No prob - sorry for the short post, I don't tend to check this forum at work, but I figured yesterday it'd be the only thing that'd keep me remotely sane :gun

If you can, it's probably worth getting some non-MS Press books as well for the alternative perspective, plus any additional topics they may cover.

I know for the MCSE, the MS Press books include discount exam vouchers, I'm not sure if they do that for the MCDST books too.

Welcome to the forum and lots of luck - you'll get plenty of support on here! :biggrin

Chantal

10. russ-t-2000

russ-t-2000 Bit Poster

Cheers again,and i agree totally,i thought i was pretty clued up with XP but i`ve learned,and continue to learn more each week,and i`ve noticed,the more i learn,the more you appreciate just what an amazing piece of coding/software XP really is!
    My exams are paid for as it was in with the price of the course[I`m studying at Evesham]so the discounts on some of the publications might not come in,unless they could count towards retakes!

11. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Lol, I didn't realise you're on an actual course which actually includes the exams - the only courses I've seen which include exams charge a small fortune! :blink

I hope the books help - Amazon tends to offer a good-sized discount, and it'll definitely be worth having them as a resource while you study! :)