New Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pvfcpeely, Apr 15, 2008.

1. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

After a new laptop for general use and running virtual machines.

After a Dual Core 2 processor about 2gb and 2gb of memory. Budget of around £500 to £600 any recommendations.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT & HNC Business IT
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

We buy quite a few Toshiba's at work and they have been good so far.

Not sure you will get a 2Ghz C2D Processor & 2GB of ram for 5-600 without compromising on other specs.

Here is an example of one for a touch over 600, but it's only 1GB of ram. Pretty cheap and easy to upgrade the ram though.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134711

If you opt for a Core Duo or a Turion X2 you will easily get what you want inside that budget.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

i bought a Toshiba, dual core, 2 gig a memory.........£499, had no problems as yet!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

virtual machines = memory

think about possibly 4GB if you intend to run vista aswell, 2GB is ok if its xp based

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  5. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

We only sell Toshiba's now as there after sales service is the best we have found. I have a U300 1.6Ghz with 2Gb Ram, fast enough for me to work with in the workshop or take out on-site.

Toshiba was doing free memory upgrades but not sure if it is still going. Also some laptops still have cash back offers and free upgrade to 3 year warranty. But the best bit about mine is it had Vista Business install but came with disk to roll back to XP Pro.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I have the M1530 and its an awesome laptop! i would recommend getting an extra 2GB over standard (Will be doing this soon my self) - Can't fault anything wrong with it, does everything i want it to do and it looks sexy. :)

If you got any questions about the laptop fire away and i'll see if i can answer them. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  8. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Just ordered a M1530 for myself (3 GB RAM).
    How you finding it?

Dell reckon delivery on the 12th May, seems a long time!
    (There's a race on now between GTA IV & the Dell to see which gets to me first... :))

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)