New Laptop - Help Required

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oush, Mar 26, 2010.

1. oush

oush Byte Poster

Hi lads,

Just need a hand with something. I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, budget is around £500.00, what should I look out for in the laptop? What's a MUST? Can anyone recommend anything?

Ideally I want to get either a Lenovo, Samsung or an Asus.

Thanks

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  2. honeymonkey

honeymonkey Bit Poster

DELL Inspiron 1545 Core 2 Duo 15" display or DELL XPS M1330 13" display, both with in your price range and come with core 2 duo processor.

If you look on ebay you should be able to pick one up for £250 - £300 if you find a seller nearby to you as most would prefer local pickup and deal with cash.

Certifications: 10 meter swimming
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  3. moondas

moondas Bit Poster

I would go for Toshiba, Asus or Dell. Check their websites and big stores, you may find some deals.
    Look for Win 7, min. 3GB ram and core 2 duo processor.
    Cheers.

Certifications: MCITP, MCTS, A+
    WIP: hmm...
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

For your budget it's maybe a bit difficult to say what's a "must". Personally I'd want a "pro" not "home" o/s, an Intel cpu, reasonable ram (say 2 Gb min) and graphics. HD is a bit moot as you can always add external storage.

You have to decide on the bells and whistles that turn you on (:p) like built in webcam, screen size etc.

Dell, ASUS, would be my choice but have also had and used Lenovo (as IBM) and Samsung in the past with nothing really bad to say.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I was looking at getting an Asus but I ended up seeing a HP dv7 on sale at a local office supply store. It has an AMD Turion II Ultra Dual Core 2.5 GHZ. 4 GB of memory and a dedicated graphics card with memory. 500 GB hdd and a 17.3" screen. I payed a little over $600. I thought I did pretty good for the money. I hope I did anyway!

I've had it for about a month and I've had no problems with it.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Only thing you must do? Avoid Lenovo!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I was literally just about to order the dv2116 or something like that.... why do you say to avoid them!! lol

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

well I've got a HPdv7 like I said above and I love it. I only have 2 complaints the first being that it picks up finger prints and smudges very easily. The second being that the wireless seems to drop the connection more than it should but I've not really tried to troubleshoot it for all I know it could be my WAP or something.

9. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

It was the 2113SA I was about to pick up. Have read good things about it and can get it on the HP Site for £550 with a s****y bag, or around £500 on ebay without. Trying decide whether going directly through the manufacturer is worth paying £30 odd for (the bag is just under £20 so ebay + bag would be £520).

Where'd you get yours from?

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  10. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I got mine from my local Office Depot here in the US. I looked up the one you are looking at up at the office depot uk site and they have it on the site but it's showing out of stock the price they have is £503.00. The specs for the one I got are similar the main difference being the larger screen size on the one I have. I would have gone with the Asus I was looking at if I hadn't found this one discounted.

11. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA
  12. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

Over heat problem!!!!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, I disagree with that, my Lenovo X60 has been nothing but great, the only limitation on it these days is the amount of ram it can handle (ie not enough), as far as build quality goes it's much better than my other laptops (maybe not as good as the Vaio but it's a close run thing).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

luckily it doesn't look like that is an issue with my model. Haven't had any trouble and I hope it stays that way.