New job role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sparky, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I spoke to my boss a few weeks back about getting far too many distractions at work which has been causing problems for me to meet deadlines for bigger projects.

For the support side of things if the first and second line guys are all on calls then the call routes through to my phone. We all know that a support call can sometimes be a few minutes just to reboot a PC or a few hours if it’s something more complicated.

This almost meant we missed a deadline for a proposal to migrate a network from Windows 2000\Novel Groupwise to Server 2008\Exchange 2007 with an additional Sharepoint server. Also I had to BS when doing the presentation to the customer as I didn’t have enough time to fully research some of the migration options.

Anyways to cut a long story short a new helpdesk guy has started this week and also a third line engineer and I will be handing all of my third line calls onto him and hopefully there should be enough peeps to keep the mass of calls away from him so he can deal with all the third line calls in peace.

For me I now just get to just do installations and consultancy and my phone has been taken out of the call group as well for support calls. Yay!

I’ve been doing installations, consultancy and support for the last year or so and tbh it was almost getting to the stage where I was burnt out so handing over the support side of things is a big help.

Onwards and upward then, I hope! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to hear and well done, truly IT can be a stressful but sometimes enjoyable career:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Could not agree more :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

OOO nice :)

I endeavor to be in the same place as you one day. 7 years and 3 months to go!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Nice one Sparky mate. Finally a break

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Right on, Sparky. Well done. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Excellent, Sparky.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Great news, well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Well done mate!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds cool, congrats :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?