New job offer- Accept?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Dubfire, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi,

Had a interview with a large multi national IT company and got the job:biggrin Its on a perm with great a great package thats far better than what im on just now.

Problem is that the role is a step up to what im currently involved with which is desktop support on the phone to users with outlook, connection problems etc The interview was very vague as to what the role will involve and the descripton was also sparse but it will involve building scripts and using software such as Altiris. The interview was very informal, although of course they had my CV they did not ask many questions as to my background/technical ability etc..

Im just worried that ill start the job and be out my depth and I really cant risk that.

Ive still not put my notice in the my current company so await the forums responses...

So is it up to the guys doing the interview to know you will be able to do the job and they surely would not risk putting someone on a perm without being 100% certain. Maybe im just being mega negative and should be out celebrating instead!

Cheers, Dubfire.

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I'd say congratulations on a new job :) Unless you exaggerated a lot on your CV I'd guess the interviewers know what you have been doing and have got a feel for your capabilities so go for it.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Thanks mate, My CV was actually brutally honest because I felt that being in a good job I had no reason to try and blag it, so was completly honest8) !

Its the fact they never asked any technical questions it was more an informal chat with an expresso at starbucks that worries me.

As a side issue has anyone had experiance in building scripts using Altiris by any chance?

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Did they not send you a job spec?

If not, you could pop them an email asking for a full list of responsibilities

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

#

Yeah ive looked over the spec just that because its on a secured site there is not much information they can give away. Its a deployment job which probably means sticking workstations on desks and maintaining them. Have job title and role but it seems they are keeping alot untill the work starts. Feel like im going in blind!!!

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

It could be that they were happy with your CV, are going to teach you the necessary skills you'll need and the interview was just to see "if your face fits".

Only thing to perhaps be wary of will be any probation period that they could get rid of you at the end of.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

You are probably right as to the face fitting thing, seemed that was the case as the interview was very jokey and lighthearted and I was offered the position practically after 5 minutes or so:rolleyes:

The probation period is 6 months but the amount of time and effort involved placing someone in a new post it seems ludicris that they would take a risk on someone who may not have the background to carry out the task. Forgive me, maybe I am being negaitve. The other 'alf is always telling me that too!:D

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you've accepted their offer, then you can ask for all the intimate details about your job responsibilities. There's usually some sort of orientation on the job for the first few days/weeks or so. I took a temp job at HP not long ago (left it for a permanent job) and it took two weeks to train me and my counterpart, just on the basics. Often, you are hired because you are perceived as having a foundation that can be built on, not because you know everything upfront.

Good luck on the new job and let us know how it works out.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

So have you accepted the job? I did a scan and last thing was that you're still thinking about it. If you do accept it, good luck :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Maybe post the details on here - obviously removing the necessary pieces that identifies the company.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

That said, thinking about it, I work in a secure environment and the job description for my job is vague - actually the job descriptions for all the jobs within my company are vague (~20,000 employees!)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

If you were keen on what the job spec read then I'd go for it and best wishes either way:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Yes Ive accepted the offer. I sent the forms back to the HR department today. Funny thing is tripwire, its the same company (HP)im dealing with! Its very promising that they were able to give you some degree of training rather that in a the deep end from day 1! Now all that is to do is to put my notice in the my current company (gulp)....

14. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

You are right mate its defo a step up in the ladder and if im being honest im really starting to look forward to the start date now!

15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its a bit late now, but I would suggest that if you are uncertain, you could always talk it over with them. Dont say you dont think you could do the job, just that you would like clarification from them on why they felt you were suitable for the job.

When I moved into my first full time development role (id been doing it on the side in my previous job). I spent the whole weekend before accepting, and the whole month afterwards worrying that I wouldnt be up to their expectations. But that wasnt the case. I was just worrying over nothing. I'm willing to bet that you are just doing the same.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Thanks for the support.

Im fairly certain thinking over the event that the guys conducting the interview were switched on cookies and would be able to tell if this was a bridge to far.

Just the thought of re-locating and leaving a very comfortable job that worries one self!