New job? Maybe.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nugget, Feb 3, 2011.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, I've been looking around at what's available for a while now and saw this one advertised on monster. I thought I'd apply just for fun and see what happens.

http://www.satcon.com/uploads/hr/d73fdbc5e72e7707dad0ce13fcec8059e3d0f40e.pdf

That was on monday and the application was directly to the company itself. Tuesday I get a call from an agency to say that they had seen my cv on monster and they had a job that I might be interested in. He sent me the details and bugger me if it wasn't the same job. Of course I said yes and they rang back the next day to get more of my details and to give me more details too. A late call today confirms me for an interview on saturday. Talk about rush.

From what I gather there will be 5 ( or 4 other candidates) and from what the agent told me, the interviewer told her he wasn't so happy about 2 of the other candidates.

To tell the truth I'm a little (ok a lot) nervous about this one. This interview will focus fully on IT whereas the 3 that I've had in the last 10 years were mostly about something else with IT as a minor role. There would be a 5 person IT team in the US but I'd be the lone IT guy here as they currently outsource their IT but they now want to bring it inhouse.

So, not so much time left to think up some smart questions (and start learning something about IT). :blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a great opportunity, Nugg. I'm sure you'll do fine in the interview. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

We'll see Mike. I'm actually sitting here now composing a list of questions and thinking about how much I don't know. I lack hands on and also theoretical knowledge of about a third of the requirements but I'm one of the five so they must have seen something they like on my cv.

It's something I definitely want though, more dedicated IT work and more responsibility.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

good luck mate :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  5. BosonMichael

That may be... but if the other four have less knowledge/experience than you (or if they're about the same and you have a better personality), then you'll have a distinct advantage, despite not checking ALL their little boxes. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If its one thing I've learned is that it's not always about knowing more than the other candidate, but having that passion and drive to learn that wins them over. Nugget, you seem like a smart individual and if it's the right place at the right time situation then you'll do just fine!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just a quick update.

I had the interview on Saturday. Got there a bit early and started straight away. It lasted 1 3/4 hours where all the others were limited to 1 hour. We talked about the company, the job, my experience and a whole lot of other things too. I'd have to set up the office here from scratch and they have offices in the Netherlands, Frankfurt and Prague which I would be supporting from A to Z and maybe some travel will be involved too.

Sounds like a great job, just have to get it. :twisted:

I also heard back from the recruitment agency this morning. They were a bit upset that I told them a salary that was different than the one they told the client. I just wish they had told me that the figure was different (and lower) than the one I wanted. The good part is that I made it to the short list of 2. A telephone interview is now on the cards as they have now flown back to the US. I suspect that the TC will also involve several of the IT guys on their end taking part.

Now they want to check references by speaking to former supervisors and this is the part where I'm coming unstuck. I have one from the first company that I did some IT work for and that's okay. As for my last supervisor, he left the company about 6 months after I did. the problem there is that I left the company for personal reasons connected to this guy and for the fact that I just couldn't trust him. While I don't think that he had a problem with my work (and he shouldn't because he was the head of IT and he got me to do it all), I have a problem with trusting him to give an honest view.

Any suggestions as to how I should handle this one?

8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'm in Frankfurt as i write this, away from the Berlin office for a few days - go bloody careful if you have a hotel near the centre. Red light district goes on for about 2 miles, lol - apart from that it's a nice city, with some unbeleivable buildings surrounding it!

I think regardless of the fact you left for personal reasons, your old boss should have a duty to report about you on a professional basis about the quality of your work. I think it's not allowed to give a bad reference. the problem is, he could possibly refuse to give a reference i guess which could prove difficult.

I've never been in this situation before, so can't really offer a great deal of advice, but would hope that he could reference your work and your ability to do the job.

Are you able to get in contact with him and explain the situation at all?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Careful you don't accidentally venture out of it?

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Haha! no mate, meant more the dodgy characters wandering around them lol :mrgreen:

I guess i could of worded that post a little bit better lol

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, I just heard back from the agency and it seems that they will go with the other guy. Kind of sucks really.:(

Onwards and upwards and on to the next one.:biggrin

12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Hard luck mate.

Onwards and upwards indeed! :thumbleft

13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Gutted for you mate. I like to think of fun ways why I don't get what I want, like the last job I went for which I didn't get on account of being so handsome funny and modest. Or the one before that which I didn't get because my memory isn't so good, my attention span is poor and my memory isn't very good.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. BosonMichael

Well, hey, now that the other guy is out of the way, all the rest of the jobs can be yours! :thumbleft

There's a "bright side" to everything. :biggrin

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

In that case it must be because I have long hair now. :silly