New Job, Ebay, and my shiny new laptop

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JohnBradbury, May 24, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,
    not been around much recently as I've been pulling 50 hour weeks on a new contract. It's been a busy couple of months but this week I was offered a permanent role in their Infrastructure Team and I feel the time is right for me to make the switch from contracting. It's been more than 9 years since my last permanent role.

The role is mainly project based with cover for Major Incidents.

Anyhow the new job involves long hours and a fairly hefty amount of travel. So much so that I'll only be in the house long enough to shower and sleep.

Which means study on the go. To help with this I've just bought a new Dell XPS Core Duo 2.4ghz with 4GB ram. So I'm going to be selling my home rig (The beastly 2.4Ghz Quad Core I bought 5-6 months ago).

I've never sold a PC on ebay and was wondering if this is the best place for such a bulky item. Would have to be pickup only. Any thoughts?

2. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Good luck with the new job m8, how did you find contracting?, is the amount of work steady?

WIP: LIFE
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You lucky duck. Congratulations on the new job. Sorry, I can't help on your eBay question. Never used it myself. Cheers. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I wouldnt restrict it to pick up only (as this will mean less bidders and less cash for it at the end)in fact normally I state that collections are not allowed. if its just the box your selling then I would charge about £15 for postage and use parcel 2 go to send it. normally they use DHL which I have never had a problem with but aparently they can be sporadic by region.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hey

How much are you selling it for? Thanks

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Guys. I'm really looking forward to getting started and I've hit the books with a passion that has been somewhat lacking the past few years.

Jon I've had periods of unemployment upto and including 6 months, although that was after the bubble burst on all the tech stocks. Normally I'm out anywhere from a couple of weeks upto 3 months. That's why it's important to get a good rate when you are in work, it all evens out.

The rig I'm selling will include a 22" ASUS Widescreen Monitor, but I still have all the packaging to ship it in. I guess I could offer to ship it.

I'm not that bothered about making my money back, hell if it pasy for some of my new laptop I'll be happy :biggrin