New Job.... At the Geek Squad oh yeah.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 1/4, Sep 3, 2011.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Some may have read my last thread where I was offered work as a basic repair technician for Comet. Well I went there and it was supposed to have involved repairing Blu-Ray players, HDDs, sky boxes and PVRs etc.

When I landed there were about 4 other "IT" people there all sold the same thing by the agency (Not naming any names...) and turns out all they've been doing for the past 2 months is tuning in old CRT TVs before sending them back to the owner. I advised the client that this position was perhaps not for me and that I did not wish to waste either of our time, we left it cordially and I had a robust conversation with the agency about essentially lying about the job.

Feeling a bit down at this point because it means going back to my old job with all the "old job" draw backs that they tend to have.

Got an e-mail from Best Buy saying they want me in for a technical test, I attend, pass that - go to second interview with about 20 other candidates there and I got it.

Words can't describe how happy I am.

I know that it is "Just" the Geek Squad, but i've been given the chance after studying and paying for the A/N+ outside of a 50 hour week job and being skint. It's remote support for all manner of technologies and I can't wait to start. Not only that but it's a 7k pay rise for me pro rata - now I can afford to continue training and getting more certs and all the other things that I wanted but couldn't.

Reading about other people getting jobs and saying "Just keep applying, it will happen" never really made much of an impact on me but it's true. Don't give out, don't back off keep applying, keep calling, keep chasing. Someone will give you the foot in the door sooner or later. It took me 8 months to do it of solidly applying but I am now in there.

My continuing thanks to the community here on certforums, love you all. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

:) Nice one!

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Major congrats.
    I still remember how happy I was to get my first IT job, even though it was "only" consumer support.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Good Job 1/4

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Congrats, first step on the road to IT stardom :)

Dont think of it as Just the Geek Squad, think of it as a chance to demonstrate broad range of IT hardware and software knowledge, and a step on the ladder.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Yesevil

Yesevil New Member

Congrats mate,

You will have fun working as a "Geek", and I can say this from personal experience. I was a member of the first Geek Squad team in a UK contact centre and even headed up their first night shift oeration from the contact centre in Preston. Their ethos is all about having fun with technology and is heavily focused on resolving the customers issues but also educating them at the same time. Enjoy.

WIP: A+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well done, congratulations!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Great news! Congratulations. Everyone remembers their first role in IT - best of luck with yours!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  9. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Nice one - congrats

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Agreed :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Thanks again everyone.

I'll do a recap once I'm a month in :D

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats and best wishes in the new role:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Congrats mate, Still an IT job no matter how you regard them, good for experience

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

First step in is always the hardest - just outshine the rest of them and you'll be a winner :)

congrats!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!

17. BITEK

BITEK Bit Poster

Gratz, and looks like a dream starter :)

Certifications: BTEC Diploma in IT, Comptia A+, 70-687, 70-410, 70-411, 70-412
  18. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  19. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

Well it's nearly the end of the first week and I shall give a brief update here.

First of all the setting, working as a so-called Covert Ops agent (remotes support) you half expect to be a bit of a chimpanzee stuck in a cubicle. Nothing further could be from the truth, the call centre is large and spacious with background noise low and plenty of individual space to work.

After having dealt with the client and are awaiting your next call you can do whatever you like with your "dead time" that extends to playing video games on your desk, building robots and, reading literature, talking to your colleague next to you or revising for your next certification. The working atmosphere is both highly relaxed and yet highly professional. There is absolutely nothing more important than the client we should go without saying but other than that you can use your spare time however you wish.

There are in no particular order, and Xbox 360, PlayStation three, a Nintendo Wii, a LAN PC configuration, drum kit and, Xbox connect, and a dedicated guitar hero to just sit on and play with on your breaks. There is a separate areas for reading or watching TV, a modest yet well-equipped gym that is free to attend, the position pays well there is a 15% bonus on salary if you know how to speak to customers properly, on top of this you can get anything from Best buy at cost price +5% and not only that but each month your specific manager is given cash or vouchers to simply spend on a day out for the "agents" under him or her. So actually as it happens I'm going out to the pub this Saturday with six other agents with £300 to spend on beer- free!

Whilst the squad do not support business clients there is a wealth of queries ranging from android phones to old timers running Windows NT needing support. The amount of different technology, configurations and queries that the general public have is extremely productive for me in terms of professional development. I never really was a Mac fan, but if the caller likes their Mac an have an issue with it, I'm dealing with it whether I like it or not.

Between the learning support, salary, benefits and the people I seriously suggest that anybody with preconceived ideas as to who or what the geek squad are, at least, remote support side of things, put them aside because for me (as a self acknowledged newbie) I probably wouldn't leave this job anything less than £30,000. Which comes as a surprise to me, but a most pleasant one.

20. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Game on 1/4 - sounds like you've found a good home :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293