New IT Administrator Job Advice needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr-Blue-Sky, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

I was offered a role as an IT Administrator today, working with a few Windows servers, and around 25 users.

It's been 8 years since I last was an IT Administrator (been a web programmer since mid-2000) and so I'll be going back to a role I've not done for a long time.

These past 3 weeks I've been brushing up with the MCDST which is getting me back to support mode.

However there will be only 5 days handover period before I join. I'll also be the only member of IT in the organisation, so those 5 days will be critical to get as much information about what I am about to support.

I've created a brief list of things I should ask, e.g. passwords to servers (usually helpful), but I'm sure to forget something.

Can anyone here help me with a list of things I need to ask before I take over the role?

Thanks all.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Firstly congrats on landing the role, in terms of information you can ask as in before hand over ask for documentation.

You can also ask what their SLA's are with regards to responding to and fixing an issue. Best wishes as am sure you'd be fine:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Congrats on the the new job! here are the things I tend to ask:

Backup: schedule, where what, and how

Admins: Do users have any admin rights, What are the highest levels of admins on the network.

Firewlls: How are they employed/Hardware or software how are the filters set.

AUP: Does the company have an acceptable usage policy, what is it, where is it.

Licensing: Is there a list of software licenses along with which machine has what - are the licenses enough to cover the current usage

Hardware: which hardware is responsible for what, age and specification. Bios passwords, admin passwords for switches

and most importantly

Users: Which users are reliable, which cause issue (theres always one)

Hope you enjoy the new job.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You would also want:

ADSL details (if applicable)
    Domain hosting details
    Domain admin username and password (same for firewall and switches)
    Directory Services restore mode password (although you can reset this yourself)

Finally ask for any network documentation, chances are there wont be any! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

Thanks all for the advise; It'll help for next week.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

what about spam filter logons if you have any
    if its only 25 users I wouldnt think there would be any sla's sounds like a nice cushty job to me unless all 25 are those special kind of users that you dread popping up on your telephone display.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Normally I'd say get network diagrams showing data flows, especially if you're the only IT person in the org.

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id make sure you have all the passwords for everything

Especially if the previosu admin is Terry Childs ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal