New ISP

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Jan 20, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Right, thats it - I've finally had it with Smellywest. Service has been getting steadily worse ever since that **** Branson took over and I am switching ISPs.

Can anyone recommend one that offers the following:

At least 8Mb D/L
    At least 1Mb U/L
    Block of static IPs (preferably 8, will settle for 6)
    Don't care about bandwidth caps so long as they are reasonable (i.e. not 1Gb per month)
    Reliability

I'm looking to pay around £50 a month - Bulldog and Fast seem to be the best bets so far. I'm pretty close to an exchange, so should get a reasonable speed.

Cheers

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Try looking at plus.net there quite good for me.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I got Be* pro on my line (Down/Up : 20765:1950) with a line attenuation of (Down/Up 16 db: 6 db) and have been very happy with there service and I only pay £22 pcm, but i would mention it can be hit or miss with them due to dodgy copper lines

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zeb,

Take a look at Plusnet. Been a customer for several years and never had any problems. Block of 4 IP's no problem on a standard, although 8 on premier account with a RIPE submission (still less than £50).

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

forgot to add the price for the IP's :oops:

8 static IPs £10
    16 static IPs £20

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Just a pointer, but, Plusnet don't charge for IP blocks. :D

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Be Online, unlimited at £18 per month and you can have a static ip address if you wish at no extra cost. I have been with them for over a year now and can say without a doubt thumbs up:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I know exactly what you mean. The customer service has gone down the pan and they've managed to sneak in traffic shaping

Call me old fashioned but when I pay for a 20MB Line I expect the capabilities of that line to be available 24/7. Virgin seem to think I should only have it outside of peek hours.

10. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

im nto sticing up for virgin or anything like that but that statemement doesnt state the fact you only get throttled if you download/upload to much.

off the top of my head for the 4mb service between 5pm and 9pm if you download more than 350mb then you will haev your bandwith reduced to 1mb down and 128 up. and that will last for 5 hours. mine is nearly constantly throttled if i have been playing lots of online games and a few downloads.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  11. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

You're just after the referal :)

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Why, are you too? :-D

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cheers folks

Plusnet looking good so far, but they seem to have a lot of bundled shite I don't need (phone lines, routers etc). Boycey, do you know if there's a way I can just get the bandwidth and IP addresses off them without having to pay for the rest of the tosh?

14. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

I have just the broadband from them, you don't have to have all the crap with it.

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you save £££ not taking the extras?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Result - how much is it?

17. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

You're right. But then again Virgin didn't happen to mention that my speed would
    be drastically reduced if I dared to use the the full capacity of my line for more than 25 minutes during peak time.

In fact it's still being advertised as 20MB Unlimited Broadband...

18. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

No idea, My quoted amount is £21.99 for the magic upto 8mb bb and a static IP. But I tied myself into a 12 month contract so I get a fiver off each month so its only £16.99 which when you consider that its a pain to find an ISP with a static IP then its a good deal.

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well Zeb, cant say I blame u mate. I jsut got off the phone to Virgin. I demanded to find out why I was getting such ridiculously slow speeds...turns out the capping is the problem! I am on the 20Mb connection. And I was told on the phone if I download over 3GB during the hours of 4pm and 9pm, then for the next 5hrs my connection will go down to 5Mb :x understandably I was furious!!

So I have told them when the contract is up I am moving to ADSL, which I dont want to...but I dont see why I should be paying £27 a month for a premium service and not get the full service!! (its £27 for the 1st 12mths then upto £37 after that). Otherwise I will not download during the hours of 4pm and 9pm and we'll see how that goes...

Good luck with whoever u go with Zeb and keep us posted on their service and that...would be interesting to see how ADSL ISPs serve compared to the likes of Virgin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  20. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Quite a lot of ISP's are doing traffic shapping these days. I have noticed my usenet drops to a crawl between 6 and 10 but then speeds back up. Internet browsing is never affected though.