New in IT

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MWT89, Apr 29, 2011.

1. MWT89

MWT89 New Member

Hi all,

I have recently got my first job in IT. I have been studying for some time for CompTIA A+ Essentials/Technician but my workplace have their own "watered down" version of this exam which I have already passed and they now want me to turn my focus to XP Administration. Now having done a little research I found the best Microsoft exams to take would be 70-271 and 70-272 for MCDST. Apparently these exams are being retired on 30th June 2011 so I need a little advice.

I have no certifications at present so I believe (what research has told me) that the best thing for me to turn my attention to would be MCP 70-270 - Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Is there any recommendations for study guides, I have been looking at MCSA/MCSE book. Is this in too much depth for a beginner as MCSA/MCSE seems quite scary looking at.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The 70-270 is just a version of the 271, but it focuses more on the domain side of things rather than the workgroup. Harder but not MCSA/MCSE harder. It's only one exam in those qualification tracks. The MCDST is also part of the MCSA/MCSE track, also as an elective rather than a requirement.
    I'd recommend the MSPress book as a starter. Absolutely massive book but a fair chunk of it is practical exercises and tests, and you'll know a fair bit of it before you even crack open the book.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. MWT89

MWT89 New Member

Are there any other courses based on XP Admin to study before 70-270? I thought this was the ideal beginner?

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The 271 was the XP "primer" if you like. Covers all the basics. With 2 months you might be able to get that under you're belt first, depending on your determination, free time, how quickly you pick things up, your memory and your experience at work in this time.
    You'd be a Microsoft Certified Professional after that though, should keep the boss happy.
    The 270 covers all the basics, and some not so basic.
    If you're working in an XP environment that isn't locked down most of it will be relevant to what you do, and your work experience will make short work of the majority of it.
    Unfortunately I work in an XP environment that is so locked down that the path to pretty much everything is through the command line. Not ideal when you have to remember the "Microsoft Way".

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. MWT89

MWT89 New Member

My place of work is locked down tight but I have administrator priveledges working as a Data Centre Technician. I could quite easily read through the book I already have for the 271 exam a few times in two months and I have access to CBT Nuggets at work. I think I could remember a lot for the exam but that doesn't necessarily mean I will learn it, but I suppose I can take my time afterwards. Thanks for your help with this. Best crack on revising.