New Horizons

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zebulebu, Apr 16, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey peeps

Anyone ever used the above company for training? Got the OK for my CBT for the CEH today and am looking around at potential providers.

If anyone's used them before I'd appreciate a quick 'they're great', 'they're ok' or 'they're pants' - send me a PM if you'd prefer not to publicise your views on the board

Cheers

:)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i done a basic NT and HTML course with them some 5 years ago i actually tought they were very good.

the classroom size was around 12, and had refreshments aswell...

tutors on both occasions were helpful, and explained everything in basic terms (as we were doing basic courses). Time did seem to fly, which was a good thing, the instructors spoke about there background and somehow intergrated the previous roles within the course.

Im going back 5 years ago, and 'they're great', but cant comment whether 'they're ok' or 'they're pants' now...

Hope this helps.

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cheers fella.

I'll probably go with them, as the other lot are based in Oxford and I don't fancy either a residential course or the three hour bop there and back every day :D

4. Crito

Crito Banned

That's where I took my CEH training.
    Pros:
    1) Total was something like $2150, a bit cheaper than other authorized training centers, believe it or not.
    2) The computers they provided were fairly new Dells.
    3) Our instructor, Nathan Hand of Freewater Tech, was quite adept -- you could tell he had taught the class several times before.
    4) Free cookies!
    Cons:
    1) They didn't provide the books for us to read in advance like they were supposed to. Luckily I had already read Michael Gregg's CEH Exam Prep book so wasn't completely lost like some people in class. The five day class goes by FAST!
    2) They didn't schedule the test for you on the last day. Meaning you have to email EC-Council with proof of attendance and do a little song and dance to get a voucher number out of them. This took me several DAYS to accomplish for some reason.
    3) New Horizons in Knoxville could only provide the CEH test through Vue, and I had always used Prometric there in the past -- that's the main reason I chose them actually. So I was very surprised when I called Prometric and they told me I'd have to drive three hours to Nashville to take it! I then tried scheduling through Vue instead but they said I needed a different voucher number. :x Return to step/problem #2 and repeat mind numbing registration process. :cry:
    4) Terrible coffee -- I had to bring my own.

Overall I was pleased with the class but upset with the amount of extra boolshiat New Horizons and EC-Council made me go through for the privilege of giving them my money. I'm still not sure whick one of them to blame the most. All I know is that for a couple grand I was expecting the red carpet treatment and instead was treated like chop liver. :eek:

WIP: none
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I work for New Horizons so off course they are great. :biggrin
    NH is the biggest educations center in the world when dealing with IT. They work in more than 50 countries worldwide.
    Their Walk-In methode is prized by Microsoft. Our exam centre has a passing-rate above 90%.
    I think they are doing pretty well.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, no offence but since you work for them I'll take your advice with a healthy pinch of salt! :biggrin

7. Tinus1959

You asked, I gave some facts.:rolleyes:

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Easy there chewie - I didn't ask for 'facts'. I asked for 'opinions' :D

9. Tinus1959

Ok, sorry. My opinion is they are good. :biggrin That's not just because I'm working there, the way they use to bring knowledge is.
    I've been working now for 18 years as a technical trainer and most of the time I was standing in front of a number of students who had to keep pace with me for 3, 4 or 5 days.
    The last 2.5 years I work with the so called Walk-In methode. In this students take their own pace. They come and go when they have time. My students tend to come one day per week. The learned material can 'sink in' during the rest of the week. They get the time to 'consume and digest' the material.
    Not sure if your course is also given in the walk-in style, but I just see great advantages in this manner.
    That's why NH got the microsoft award for this learning concept.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Chewie... lol! That nickname's gonna stick! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Tinus1959

Hold on, I changed my avatar into my normal one. I could not find the picture so I copied it from the other forum.
    For those who do not know me, It is my dog, not me. (it was my dog. He died about a year ago aged 9 years which is very old being an Irish Wolfhound).

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You'll still always be 'Chewie' to me mate :biggrin

13. BosonMichael

I still prefer the nickname Chewie. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. Tinus1959

Ok, but don't tell anyone else.

15. Tinus1959

Thy to Brutus?

16. BosonMichael

Just hope I don't migrate your nickname to MCSEWorld. ;) heeheehee

17. Tinus1959

Aaaarrrrrrgggg....

18. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Too late! - [Big Grin]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  19. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Mind you - I like how Mitzs recently referred to a certain someone as a "flea bitten testing software writer"

...this too could find it's way across to MCSEworld....

[grin]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  20. BosonMichael

I admit to the "flea bitten" part... :oops:

BUT I AIN'T NO DANG SOFTWARE WRITER!!! :x

:p