New here, with a question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mikal, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mikal

Mikal New Member

Hi, I'll cut straight to the question, I'm signed up to a course with Computeach and I've just finished my A-Levels so I've taken a gap year out before I head off to University in 2009.

I was wondering if the Computeach course can be completed within a year? I know it's meant to be a 4 year course but I was hoping I could have it done before I go to University.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is in the wrong section :P

2. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

1) What are you going to Uni to study for?

2) When did you take out the course for Computeach?? a 4 year course sounds like they've given you A+ and a Microsoft course in there as well

I'd highley recommend you "cancel" the Computeach course as soon as possible. a 4 year course (or 36 months for 3) will cost a fortune, and you sound like you're unsure of what you want to do, which is perfect for a training provider to talk you into signing up. I've been there, and many others have on this board, and will tell you it's not the most beneficial route at this stage in your life

Also - you're in the correct section, and welcome to the forum Mikal

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

What course is it that you are doing with computeach?

Beaware that you shouldn't be doing any high end certs like the MCSA,MCSE or CCNA until you have the required on the job experience. HAving certs like that can damage your employment prospects not enhance them.

But they wouldn't tell you that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Here we go again

5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Listen MM. You have your opinion so feel free to state it... no one is stopping you.

6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF!
    Which course are you taking?
    4 years sounds like one HELL of a course! My advice generally would be, if it's a four year course, it'll probably take four years. Perhaps if you worked really hard you could reasonably hope to HALF that... but to quarter it sounds a bit much.

Also, check the entry requirements for this course with Computeach.
    As GBL says, a lot of the higher-level certifications NEED on-the-job experience. And this is actually true - they NEED this experience. It's absolutely no good doing these certs without the real experience, even if you pass - you just wind up over-qualified for entry jobs, and under-experienced for the higher-level jobs. You can't make it on certs alone.

I strongly recommend you research on-line and talk this through with you training provider. Explain your needs; be clear. Perhaps you could shrink this course down to one year by omitting the high-level certs that require experience. This will save you time and money, and improve your job prospects. Win-win-win!:biggrin
    And you could do the higher certs later, when you HAVE the real-world experience.

If you've signed in the last few days, talk to you computeach NOW - while you're still inside the legally required cooling-off period. It will be much easier to change your options now. If you leave it another week, you might find yourself tied into the full 4 years, and the subsequent remortgaging of your parents' house to pay for it!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. Mr Machfisto

Ok my opinion

Mikal has just signed up and paid good money to do a course with Computeach.

GBl has come on a made him feel like he has wasted his money and they salesman from Computeach has just sold him a course.

GBL why can't you come back and help this guy, rather than making him feel lousy for spending his money

EDIT: ok its not just GBL but everyone on this thread give the guy some support not make him feel like sh1t

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Can you read English? How is any of my post written to make the OP feel lousy? all I have said is What course are you doing? stay away from high end certs that can damage your career prospects?

I am stating facts, you sure do like to argue don't you.

What would you rather I do? do you want me to say ahh spend loads money on something that can damage your career prospects, study something you shouldn't be studying it doesn't matter that you don't have experience that is quite clearly stated by Microsoft. Get yourself into thousands of pounds worth of debt before you go uni and get even further into debt.

That would be a bit dumb don't you think?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Mr Machfisto

What I'm sayin is this guy may have spent his money and can't get a refund. And he may feel lousy now as people are telling him he has made a mistake.

I don't like to argue GBL, just love a good debate.:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice given above by Mickaveli, GBL, and Zig. I also believe it would not be a good idea to attempt to knock out these courses in a year. I know you only have a year's free time, but please understand that certification is not a race. Certifications are designed to mirror your real-world experience, and if you don't have that experience, you'll find it difficult to get employment in IT. Employers with MCSE-level and CCNA-level jobs won't hire you because you don't have experience, and employers with entry-level jobs won't hire you because they don't require someone with a bunch of upper-level certifications who is likely to be more expensive, or at best, won't stick around very long.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. However, if I were in your shoes, I'd pursue only the A+, Network+, and MCDST until I've built up experience... and I'd start looking for employment NOW... not after I'm done with certifications or university. The sooner you build real-world experience, the sooner you can get to the MCSA/MCSE/CCNA/CCNP levels.

I wish you wisdom in your decision! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I agree 100%... If you worked hard to earn these qualifications you'd want to place them on a CV. I know a number of people who have been refused jobs due to being over-experienced and chances are there will be 10 or more people in for one job, and any company will save money by choosing the "relevant" candidate

.NET training were the only providers I have known of that send out some work to gain that hands on experience (there may be others) but if I had a year if I was you, I'd strongly recommend the A+ which is a great starting point. A lot of these training providers try to sell the Microsoft certs, and are expensive, but require the A+ & N+ which a lot of top members here claim can be done self study, and a lot of members here have already passed both by doing self study.. save yourself thousands

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
  12. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Well I guess Mikal the choice is yours
    A: You can listen to BM, GBL, Mickaveli and The Zig who have given you constructive advice based on their experiences,

or

B: Listen to MM who doesn't want you to feel lousy.

Your options with Computeach depend on how far into the course you are, but even if you are too committed to cancel, you may be able to reduce down to something a bit more to your timescale and a little more relevant to your current experience.

Bear in mind that nobody has said don't use computeach, just be careful what you are studying isn't going to over qualify you. Its a shame you didnt stumble upon this forum a little earlier but that can't be helped. I was actually searching dogpile for peoples reviews of computeach when I found this site and it made me realise that there were other options and more relevant certs.

This forum has a lot of very useful information on certifications right through to job advice and anything else that involves IT, all of this is provided by a network of members who seem to cover every rung on the ladder with a wealth of experience, stick around either way and be a part of the team.

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think this thread is getting a little heated so lets all calm down and keep it all cool! 8)

Thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics