New Guy!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dreadpiratesteve, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dreadpiratesteve

dreadpiratesteve New Member

Hi all,

Found this forum whilst doing a little research into which IT cert I should go for. I'm looking to change career from one in pubs/ retail to something I'm going to enjoy, which is sat in front of a computer, either pullings bits out and putting them back in or looking at a screen and figuring out what is wrong.

After speaking to a guy who is contracted to fix the IT department at my parnter's firm, he advised me I should go for the MSCE. So I did a search on Google to see what it entails and that in itself led to more questions and eventually finding myself here!

I've decided that self study would be more beneficial to me, rather than going through a training provider. Cost more than anything.

So, I have a few questions to ask already, hope you can help!

1: Which is better. MCSE or MCSA?
    2: Can I sit the exams for each module at different times, and is there a time scale for completion. EG: take one exam and then sit another in six months? Or do I have to sit all 7/ 4 exams in a 12 month period?
    3: Do you get a certificate for each module, which in total makes up the MCSE/ MCSA or do I send in the set of certificates to get one big certificate saying I'm fully qualified?
    4: I notice that three of the modules for the MCSA are also part of the MCSE. If I were to pass the MCSA first, would I be able to skip those modules if I were to go for the MCSE?
    5: Which books do you recommend for either course?

That's all folks. So many questions I know but hopefully that will put in the right direction!

Steve

WIP: A+
  2. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forums,

How much IT experience do you have? the certificates you are talking about are usually for professionals with at least a years experience. Ideally the standard entry level path would be to start with the A+, Network+ and MCDST. If your fairly competent on a PC you should have no real issues with these certs. In the meantime start applying now for entry level jobs. The later certificates will come with time and experience.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First, let me say that you have an excellent username, DPS. Where's the Dread Pirate Roberts??

Second, let me say that your IT guy's advice isn't sound advice. The MCSE is designed for people with quite a bit of server administration experience... not for someone wanting to just break into IT. In fact, Microsoft recommends 12 months of experience (6 months for the MCSA) of experience administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment BEFORE starting the MCSE... not 12 months in IT, either, but 12 months administering servers (which is not typically something you'll be allowed to do starting out.

So you might ask, what's the harm in getting it early in your IT career? First, the MCSE doesn't have ANYTHING to do with entry-level jobs. Entry-level employers will look at your certification and know that they don't need an MCSE candidate to do an entry-level job... and that you'll likely take off for the first server admin job that opens up (leaving them to find, hire, and train someone all over again). Or worse, they'll think you cheated your way to the certification - after all, it's not an entry-level certification. And anyone with a more advanced job won't hire you because you lack real-world IT experience. In short, the MCSE can make you LESS attractive to employers, not MORE attractive, at this stage of your career.

I would recommend that you start out with the A+, Network+, and MCDST - all very solid entry-level certifications that will do you well at the beginning of your career.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dreadpiratesteve

dreadpiratesteve New Member

Thank for the welcome and the advice, much appreciated. I was looking at the MCSE and thought it was a little too above me for entry level!

That said, I will look into the MCDST etc and roll on pay day so I can commence my studying!

BosonMichael, you know the Dread Pirate Roberts is fictional! lol! Besides, my real name is Steve and stuck with the Dread Pirate part thanks to Dodgeball - something I blame my friends for!

WIP: A+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Will have to queue that movie up... haven't seen Dodgeball yet!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Tiony

Tiony New Member

Braindumps - AJ

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Will you stop with the braindumps already... :x

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF!

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+