New guy looking for words of wisdom, please read

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sneher, Sep 11, 2015.

1. sneher

sneher New Member

Hi all. Scott here. Yes, I'm the nube in the room.

I am 43yrs old and changing careers to IT, my first love from high school (yes I started working in DOS on an IBM 80-88)). Just looking for words of wisdom as I know it may be an uphill battle, at least early on, competing against younger and more tech savvy job seekers.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Idunno

Idunno Bit Poster

Hi Scott,

Welcome, quite a brave move at 43, I'm a similar age and have worked in IT for the past 16 years from Desktop support to running an IT and BI departments. Currently developing Agile PM and Business Analysis skills working for a bespoke software solutions company.

The bad news is it can be a real challenge to keep up and I'm not sure there's another career path where knowledge evolves so quickly, there are times when it can be a grueling 24/7 365, demanding and thankless role. Not selling it am I.

On the other hand if your keen on technology and just can't help but play with the latest gadgets, finding yourself fixing personal IT kit for friends and family in your spare time, your steadfast, undeterred by a bit of hard work and your prepared for copious amounts of studying then the rewards can be had.

Good luck.

Certifications: HND IT, MCP: 70-290, 073, 067, 068. Prince2 Foundation
    WIP: LFS101x.2, ITIL V3
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome Scott :)

What sort if IT work are you looking to get into?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Welcome, I was a later comer (27 rather than 43) to IT, it's certainly possible, my only word of advice is to expect to take a pay\rate drop tho as you're probably going to start at the bottom of the ladder again.

Apart from that, good luck :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. sneher

sneher New Member

Thanks for the responses. I know it will be daunting at first, and unfortunately know I'll have to start at the bottom. Thinking about the security track, but obviously I'll be flexible based on who gives me a chance to prove myself. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't more of a pipe dream. But it sounds like if I'm prepared to pay my dues, it can be done. I always love a challenge and fortunately my wife is supporting my decision. Look forward to learning more and I feel like this will be a good place for support. Thanks again.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

welcome mate!

what certificates are you looking at starting with?

7. sneher

sneher New Member

Starting with the CompTIA A+

8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like your head is in the right place and your expectations are right.

Alot expect to read a book, take the exam and earn 60k a year within 3 months :francis:

Good luck on your journey and be sure to post on here if any help required!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Unknown14 likes this.
  9. an1724

an1724 New Member

Hi Scott

I have been working in IT for the past 16 years and I have been recently been made redundant. The jobs I have been looking at requires me to have knowledge of Networking so I also want to do Comptia A+ then Networking. I need someone to study with via skype.

10. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

In fairness, there were companies out there promising things like that a couple of years ago!

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Don't believe everything you see in an advert...

I've covered myself in Lynx, just waiting for the hotties...

Jaron78 likes this.
  12. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Done the same sort of thing (at 32 rather than 43 mind you).

Apart from Proposing to my Fiancé, its the best decision I have ever made mate.

Good luck, I am sure you will be fine.

13. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Of course, I myself wait for stewardesses whilst drinking my Carlsberg, and if Natwest are helpful banking ...

Best of luck to the OP in your endeavours. I hope it goes smoothly!

Jaron78 likes this.