New guy here self-studying

Discussion in 'A+' started by bondbill2k2, Aug 15, 2010.

1. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

Hey there my names tom, as you can see im newly registered here (having viewed a few posts before hand which proved usedful) and thought I would start off with a welcome post.

Well ive just turned 21 and have recently graduated with a Bsc Computer studies with honours having finished university in May. Since June I have been looking for employment in a technical support role already reacing the final interview stage at 3 jobs since June (pretty good going I think) but being beaten by 1 person each time, the first example being a school technician role but the other candidate (the only other one at final interview stage) out of 200 applicants had 3 previous years working in a school environment.

I do have some relevant previous experience, since March I have worked part-time in a small computer store as a technician, the usual services, repairs, upgrades and system builds etc...

Since looking for jobs in June I decided to continue my studies during my search for work including self-study for the A+ certification with it being more relevant to a technician/support role then most stuff covered at university (web design, software development...cant say I really enjoyed either too much).

So far so good although I havnt spent alot of time on it yet only around 6hours a week (aim to put more in from now) with the help of Mike Meyers Comp TIA A+ all in one certification guide for 220-701 & 220-702 7th edition book, what a great book it is to have and often used as a refrence while working at my part-time technician role!

I aim to take both exams in the next month having passed 701 & 702 mock exams on a few software test packages having yet learned anything about monitors, printers and little on networking.

Certifications: Bsc(hon) Computer Studies
    WIP: Comp TIA A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Good luck on the exams.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

well thanks to this site ive just discovered professor messers free A+ Videos, which I shall be using for revision having read most the book now im going over each section using the videos and making notes for each.

Im glad its much more bulletined important notes then all those history bits in the book, I was worried I needed to remember it all (I remember parts and the majority of them but not exact figures of oldskool models etc)

7. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF! Be sure to also check out the ProProfs.com stuff!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

I used his N+ stuff as part of my revision and because they were in managable byte sized (pun intended) chunks I was able to watch them on bus/train to work. Made my exam so much easier

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+
  11. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

Ok ive been lazy again *disapointed in myself* lol, main reason being job hunting like mad, and being successful in some sense with a role for a banks customer support (telephone support....) altho I'm currently looking for IT entry roles which I can progress on.

Well to make up for being lazy earlier this week I purchased an A+ ticket/discount voucher and plan to book my 701 and 702 for some time towards the end of October.

Having read Mike Meyers all in one 7th edition and getting sick to death of repeting questions on the software provided with the book I have purchased 2 days ago the Exam cram A+ 701,702 book which arrived today (great for quicker reading and study, having gone over in more details I now have a much shorter book covering all the basics with a super handy 'Cram Card' full of key information useful for the exam.

I'm also waiting for my 2nd order, Exam Cram Comp TIA A+ Practice question exams consisting of over 1000 questions :) rather make sure im 100% going to pass then risk wasting over £100 per exam. Cram study for the next 2weeks then take the tests, also been messing around at work (when quiet of course, I work as a part-time Computer Technician in a small computer services store) with spare computers, we have alot of old legacy systems which are just to be disposed of, removing parts, studying, stripping down and putting back together then doing clean installs and upgrade installs between O/S's to help me remember the different upgrade paths and requirements.

Feeling pretty confident now, happily pass the ALL-IN-ONE books questions but have read they are easier then many others.

Any tips off people for cramming and remembering certain parts? My worst areas are printers and network. :dry

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Good luck with your studies and the exams.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. bondbill2k2

bondbill2k2 Bit Poster

having just taken a mock test off the CD provided with exam cram for 701 I must say they are noticably harder then others ive tryed, only managed 65% correct :blink

A couple of the wrong ones were computer faults, where its multiple choice but wont let you select more then one (read about them on the book review on amazon) Few others were annoying lil daft questions

e.g. "You return to the server room at work to find a small leak in the roof, what do you do 1st"

(A) Report to the network administrator
    (B) Contact the building management
    (C) Turn off power to what equipment you can and move it
    (D) Clean up

I choose C, if theirs stuff in their I could shut down without worry (e.g. none server equipment but electrical) Id turn that off asap to prevent any permanent damage or the risk escalating.

Correct answer was B, yet with the Meyers book their is a simular question regarding a spillage in the server room, to which the answer is contact the network admin. :dunce Its annoying finding these sort of differences between different sources as it makes you wonder which you should put in the proper exam.

Most other wrong questions (prob 5 in total) were all relevant to monitors and resolutions so I know to study up their :)

More good news tho, I have a 2nd interview with a large UK IT hardware support provider as an entry level IT role for Network Operator which doesn't require previous experience so fingers crossed goes well and provides a step into a decent IT career progression path :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  14. chrisleech

chrisleech Bit Poster

Just thought i'd reply to this.

That is a bit of a daft question but i can see why it wouldn't be B, i'd say that because sometimes just turning off equipment can cause bigger issues. And it doesn't state how you'd turn it off (pull the plug / shut down properly after advising users) .

I'd have probably chosen B too without thinking about it too much

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not turning off and relocating equipment can cause even bigger issues. *zot!* :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!