New graphics card again?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Jan 10, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right I think I have to concede that my motherboard or PC doesnt like nVidia AGP cards which is odd since the chipset on the mobo is nVidia! :eek: anyway I have decided I will sell my nVidia 6600LE GeForce AGP card and go for maybe this baby or perhaps this beauty of course I could somehow string it a bit and go for this monster what do you guys think? I know ATi works fine cos the last two AGP cards were ATi and no probs with them at all....:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Of the three I would go with 9600 XT seems to be best for the money think you can unlock more pipes with the ATItool

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

sounds good to me...I will get home 2nite and put my nVidia on eBay...hope I get a good sale for it...cost me £60+ as it is!!!

4. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Hope you get most of your money back. Strange that it didn't work!

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Noel,

Sorry if i have missed something if you referred to it in another post but what was the original problem with the AGP Graphics card?

Is it listed on Microsofts Hardware Compatible List (or HCL as it might be referred to)?
    Does it only cause prolbem on fast acceleration?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

It was causing problems when I was playing games...such as FIFA 06 and Need For Speed Most Wanted...its not on the HCL but the new drivers were...and even they didnt help...but it dont matter anyway cos once I sell it I am getting an ATI one as the last two were ATI and I had no problems with either of them at all...

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, i see. I heard someone else mention that their Nvidia card was playing up under "full throttle", can't remember where....

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I got my new ATI Radeon 9600XT card yesterday...put it in my machine last night and my God what a card!! I played Need For Speed Most Wanted and set it to the highest level of detail and res...and the game played flawlessly, no glitches, no slowness, just sharp graphics...the same was said for FIFA 06. I also tested Matrix Path Of Neo and again flawless (even tho the game itself has crash problems!), I will have a bash at Doom 3 tonite and also Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, but thank God I got rid of that crappy GeForce 6600LE just didnt do what I want...now am a happy chappy and I can go back to playing my games the way they should be played!!! :biggrin

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh good. Glad the new card plays well :thumbleft

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Cheers boyce...but I think nVidia will need to rename their slogan from "the way games should be played" to something like "the way graphics should be screwed" :eek: I could be in trouble there!!! haha...

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

LOL :D

I read something somewhere that said Nvidia AGP don't work with certain mobo's.....

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u think its something do with the Mobo having an nVidia chipset? cos mine does!! hmmm compatibility issues between graphics chipsets and mobo chipsets...someone at nVidia needs to sort this out!! :dry

13. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

I know there was a big problem with the Nvidia 6800 series paired up with nForce 3 chipset. Glitching and pausing during gameplay etc. Turing off Fast Writes in the BIOS corrects this though. It did for me anyway :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290