New Girl Geek

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Thessalonian, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Thessalonian

Thessalonian New Member

Hi everyone!

Thought I would stop skulking around in the background and stand up and be counted! [​IMG] Another girl geek joining the ranks…..so squish up boys. I got the bug last year when my loft became a haven for teenage boys with towers in their rucksacks and monitors in their arms. I was living then, in a sleepy german backwater my eldest had rented out space in our loft to his buddies to play network games.[​IMG]

Pestered by his younger brothers to “set up” when he wasn’t around I was introduced to “ping” [​IMG] (by my seven year old ) and I started to play.

After a short spell in the workplace I was disappointed that “users” do not show the same level of gratitude when you fix something for them as small children do and they are not as patient. [​IMG] Hence my return to study full-time. I have just started working toward my MCSE and CCNA with NITLC. My first two exams I did with a local training provider.
    The site is great, there is lots of useful stuff here, just what you need when you want a break from trawling through the books….. Enlightening and light-hearted info. Keep up the good work!

Certifications: MCSA 70210,70-215,70-216,70-218
    WIP: CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums, Thessalonian. Glad you finally came out into the open. We can't have too many geek girls around. I'm sure Rosy and Greebo and the others will enjoy your company. :)

I like your av. BTW, what's the origin of your "handle"? Biblical perhaps?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Thessalonian

Welcome to the boards. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A warm [​IMG] Thessalonian, great to see you make a post. Make yourself at home and join in where you can.

Speak soon, Si :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Thessalonian

Thessalonian New Member

Thankyou for your welcome and Yup! As a mother to six “little people” the core advice to be ready, be prepared and make the most of your time is pretty much something I live by. With four boys I find especially the “be ready, be prepared” bit useful! :lol: :bud:box2 :duel

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Rosy and Greebo? who are they??
    really, its been that long :P

Welcome to CF, glad you find the place to your likeing

sounds like you had a LAN Party in your loft, sounds like my cup of tea
    have two to go too the first 3 weeks im back in the UK lol
    and a trip to bloody africa to fix a printer (no really, its almost that bad)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Thessalonian

Good to see you have come out of the loft. Has Paul been writing to you recently? Obscure referance to your nickname for all that have not done a basic course in Theology there, and what do you think of his writings? A PM reply might be better if you really want to answer that.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Wellcome aboard Thessa (if you dont mind me calling you that) by the way did u say six? I am the eldest of 5 from my family and there's me worried about my mother but you really have got it going. and Phoenix I agree with you Greebo and Rosy have not been on for a while...make yourself at home Thessalonian.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's not *that* obscure, Sandy.
    :D

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip - er ummm You are living in the USA! The UK is a very secular society most people don't know
    • What a religon is
    • What the Bible/Torha/Koran is
    • Who was Paul
    • Why he wrote to the Thessalonians
    And think Celtic spirtuality is "New Age" (BTW I follow that path)

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My mistake. I think most people wouldn't really know anything about Celtic spirituality here in the US. Of course, we're a pretty mixed bag overhere. Not to hijack this thread but I thought there was a significant Islamic population over in the UK and Europe so I figured there'd be at least *some* familiarity with the Koran. Of course I've never visited so I can't say from first hand experience.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi from me too Thessalonian - nice of you to join, glad you like it, and thanks for the kind words :D

I like your summary of your situation. Your hands full with family, and you make time for study too. Lord knows a good few of us know what thats like :rolleyes:

Also, typical - any Guy joins, and they get a "Alright mate" response. A woman joins, and their falling over each other. Honestly ....

Enjoy your time here - and ask/answer as you see fit :thumbleft:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the board. Where did you live in Germany? I'm not that far south in Switzerland. I know what you mean about boys being a handful too.

Ice Cold VB comin' at ya *toss*

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Thessalonian

Thessalonian New Member

Well what can I say? “Thanks guys!", I feel really welcome, and yeah you can call me Thessa if you like noelg24, its not so verbally challenging!
    Well, now that we have got to know each other a little better, I’ll jump right in start treating you all as the font of knowledge I’m sure you are! [​IMG]
    Any of you complicating your lives by learning Linux at the same time as Microsoft certs? Or would that be biting off more than I can chew? As I am a bit of a late starter, I am toying with the idea, after playing with a copy of Knoppix. I thought it might make sense to have a little bit more to offer when schools out. I am trying to get most mileage out of my time out of the workplace. I would appreciate your thoughts. Would a change be as good as a rest in this case?[​IMG]

Oh Sandy , to answer your question “has Paul been writing to me recently?” I have to admit I haven’t had any signed Paul at the end of the letter….….you know, to prove they really are from him.[​IMG]

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I work my "day job" in a Linux shop and do articles on MS by night...so you might say I live in both worlds. I've created a RH9 box in VMWare at home and will be building a Slackware 10 machine here at work. I also use Windows XP at work because my html editor doesn't play well with open source and I use XP at home as my VMWare host machine and on my laptop for writing. Yeah...I get dizzy sometimes. :biggrin

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Id suggest that if your starting the learning curve from scratch, learning both together is a wonderful idea, the problems really start to arise when you have been a Windows Admin for 7 years and try to make the swap (trust me, i know!!) I am soon to be running a RedHat in VMWare masterclass that will have a pdf document supplied with (hopfully) with all the steps and such along with many screen shots

if your interested in following along with the live course, see the other threads for details and requirements :)

(I am a windows admin who has been following linux closely the last couple of years, you can read my 'direction of the industry' article too if it helps guide your decision making process at this early stage :)

sorry i dont have links to hand, there around here somewhere :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Thessalonian

Like Trip I work in a mix of W2K, Unix and Linux. I keep putting my Linux certs off and would not recommend that you more than your MCSE mixing Windows and Linux will be a tad confusing.