"New" Dell & Vista problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, Nov 2, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

One of my mates on my advice just bought a Dell 1501 that comes with Vista. She got it two days ago but booted it up for the first time yesterday. According to her she completed the steps like it told her and she got into Windows. Then she says once in Windows the machine froze..which turned out to be Blue screen of death! So she calls me over and i got see this machine and there were errors saying EULA is missing and that windows recovered from a serious blue screen error. So first thing i thought was this machine is new and being a blonde i decided what the heck lets format the machine and start over quickly.

I finished the installation and everything seemed fine.. no more errors! she was over the moom and i was happy cause i thought bad image from Dell this happens! I then try restart the machine and instead put it to sleep by mistake - OH what a mistake the whole machine hangs! Now from what i gather it only hangs when you putting the machine to sleep. So i googled a couple of things and found that this is a possible problem with Vista and a few Dells - OR the problem could be faulty RAM or HDD?

What you guys think? Is this a known error or is it hardware based - and we should send it back to Dell ASAP??

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Oh crap my mum just bought a dell laptop with vista on it, it's due to arrive on 13th November, so it looks like I'm going to be in for some fun as I've never even looked at vista before not let alone use it :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Since you have only just received the machine I would suggest sending it back to Dell. It could be Memory or HD, or possibly BIOS, but just to be safe send it back and get a new one.

Alternatively has any third party software been installed?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Simon send the comp back to Dell.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had the same issue with a dekstop computer that I built. And you are correct about this being an issue in vista. From what I understand microsoft has released some patches to address that issue or issues that are similar to what you are going through.

I am assuming this happened after you done all the necessary updates, etc? If so then there might be an issue with the hardware like simon said.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no i havent done any updates.. it was a straight installation.. hmmm :rolleyes:

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO a new machine that doesn't work should be sent back pronto, and no attempt to 'repair' it should be made.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Try doing the updates first, if that doesn't fix it, then just send it back like Harry said.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

dell..

[​IMG]

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

One presumes that after formatting the hdd and re-installing Windows Vista, you loaded all the necessary chipset drivers or was there a recovery CD with the OS with all required drivers on it?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hehe pete you made my chuckle mate! Drivers were all installed. I called her and she says its now happening during shut up as well so shes phoning Dell on Monday! I just formated and installed Windows straight off the DVD didnt use the image cause i thought maybe it was a bad image used thus the errors....

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

These things happen.

To be fair, I've been using a new Dell/Vista laptop for some weeks now and haven't had any issues with it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have two machines at home...both with vista...my new one I put to sleep a couple of times and it seemed fine...but when I put it sleep now...the screen comes up all fuzzy when it wakes up...so I have to reboot in order for it to work again...as for the old machine...I have never put that sleep until last week...what a mistake that was...trying to wake it up and it just wouldnt have it...so that machine no longer goes to sleep or turns off...Vista has been having issues with the sleep function...so all I will say is never put ur machine to sleep hehe...I have done updates on both machines and still havent resolved the issue...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

My mum has just told me her laptop has arrived, that was ruddy quick, so I'm going to have a fun couple of hours this afternoon, figuring out vista :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally find vista to be fun as I have recently setup two boxes at work as a test lab connected to our AD domain to find out how it works with Citrix.

I installed version 10.1 of the Citrix meta frame web presentation client software which was fine, however does not connect to our Citrix farm at the moment. I did a bit of research as there was an error message popping up (Protocol driver error) I later find out that port 1494 on the firewall needs to be opened for issue to be resolved.

So far so good so am finding the whole vista transition and learning interesting.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hibernation / sleep mode / standby mode has NEVER worked correctly, ever since Microsoft implemented it... so that's not an issue unique to Vista.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah thats true...but saying that I have never put XP to sleep when I was using it.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  18. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I find that too with my Dell Laptop.

I have a 1501 too, with Vista... it is so slow compared to my brothers laptop which is a similar spec (well just below mine) and he running XP.

I think vista has a great user interface and is really easy to use in terms of connecting to a wireless network for example, other than that its seems a real sluggish OS - in my opinion with my machine (duel 1.6Ghz, 1GB Ram, 256mb G Card, 120 GB hdd)

Certifications: A+, N+
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My thoughts exactly :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Toshiba have a deal on where if your laptop gets a fault in the first year, they will repair or replace the laptop and also refund the cost of your laptop.

We have sold 20+ in October (only a small local computer shop) mostly dual cores with 2GB ram and Vista.

Sorry no help to your problem but if anyone thinking of buying a laptop, this is a good offer if still running.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA