New comer with high hopes

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by manc, May 29, 2015.

1. manc

manc Bit Poster

Hi,

Bit of background about myself. I have worked in computer hardware for a number of years, far too many to admit but it paid the bills, its now time to take the next step up which is becoming MCSA certified. I have a good background when it comes to Windows 7 and all the surrounding aspects relating to hardware. I have maintained a network infrastructure for a number of years and believe myself to have good all round IT knowledge but this is all on-the-job knowledge ,so now I would like to formalize this knowledge by achieving the appropriate MS certifications, wish me luck :), think I will need it as I have gone straight into the deep end with 70-687 being my first IT exam.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, 70-687 & 70-688.
    WIP: 70-410
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Glad to have you onboard. Good choice thinking about getting a few bits of paper to support your experience. Employers have their cake and eat it these days in terms of experienced AND certified staff. Good luck with the exam, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I know of guys who could design and implement an entire Microsoft estate (including Messaging) that at the time had no certifications to prove their ability, these were TDA's (Technical Design Authorities) and were deemed good enough to design and implement a solution for a market leading office for hire company. Once they moved on they were asked by agencies if they had their MCSE's (they didn't), eventually they went and sat the exams and aced them.

You're doing it the right way, proving your already competent self via certification rather than using certification as a means of getting the experience.

Good luck to you :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. manc

manc Bit Poster

Many thanks for the kind words.

It been quite a while since I hit the books and even studying but starting to get into the swing of things.

As it stands I have watched a good few videos from Pluralsight & CBT nuggets all of which were informative but I could tell they were scratching the surface (no pun intented) when it comes to configuring Windows 8.1, so I found myself doing loads of labing with a dummy machine that is running VMbox, and tonnes of following up on Technet and even wiki, there is just so much detail that I find have to retain rather than relying on the realworld "/?" which I guess I wont have the luxury of during the exam, just hope I can retain it all.

I have also bought the recommended MS Press book for 70-687 'Configuring Windows 8.1', which I am slowly working my way through also, but I love the way each page refer you to technet articles, so again keeping the subject at a very high level.

Finally just the other day I invested in the Transender test exams which kind of opened my eyes to the type of questions that I assume are going to be asked during the exam, my god there is so much info given prior to asking the question you almost get lost in all the probable answers, I find I have to re-read the questions twice to fully understand what they asking and only then can I make the correct choice, but I am going on now so please excuse me.

I will finish off by saying that I may or may not of jumped the gun by booking the exam for the mid July, consider that I have already spent about a month (couple of hours each day) going over the objectives for this exam, I hope I have given myself enough time...

ManC

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums, good to see you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So one of the important things to understand about Microsoft exams is that there are generally two answers on the exam, there is the real world way (the wrong answer) and the Microsoft way (exam answer), as long as you remember that you are sitting an exam and you have to answer the questions using Microsoft Logic (very similar to Windows Time, all wishy washy and in no way connected to, you know, the real world) then you will be fine.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. manc

manc Bit Poster

Many thanks for all the welcoming comments :D

The more and more I work my way through the Transender exam test questions the more I realise I have to almost re-learn how I would normally tackle a problem\setup\config, this I think is making it very hard to retain alot of the material for this exam.

I'm still going over the material over and over, and I am sure eventually it will stick!

ManC

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015