New-comer Microsoft Security Essentials rated in top 10 Anti-virus products

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

During the Dec 2009 av-comparatives.org independent anti-virus tests, new-comer Microsoft Security Essentials beat the likes of AVG, BitDefender, eScan, etc to receive the Advanced+ award along with 9 other AV products. But Symantec named AV of the year...

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hmmm, microsoft in top 10 and symantec winning, not results that im convinced by, my real world experience of symantec is slightly less than number 1 :D

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Can't comment on Symantec but I have MS Security Essentials on my Win 7 Laptop and my ML115 at home and have been very impressed with it TBH.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Time to retire from IT when Symantec AV gets to number 1.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Agree, however, some Symantec AV products are heaps worse than others.

I am liking Avira (I also run Microsoft Security Essentials on two other machines at home which are well locked down). Avira has worked on client machines where the likes of Symantec, AVG and a few others have failed.

I would like to look at Avira corporate edition though. In terms on MS products I think i have access to Forefront but haven't looked at it yet, maybe when i have time.

Wonder how many companies are illegally using Microsoft Security Essentials?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ken, i have just read the entire PDF and Symantec does not come out top? :rolleyes:

The top performers are in this order, with AVIRA at number one..

1) AVIRA
    2) Kingsoft
    3) F-Secure
    4) Sophos
    5) Kaspersky
    6) Microsoft
    7) Avast
    8] Symantec*
    9) ESET
    10) McAfee

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Kitkatninja

Sorry mate, AV product of the year isn't in the .pdf. It's on the main page here and on the summary page here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Symantec hogs so much resource that there isnt any left for any malware to run :D

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

ESET should be in the top 5 or at least the top 3, its never given me bother unless a virus is on the pc , and if there is one i have found it to remove it quickly and easily, and it also does not use much resources slowing the pc down :)

WIP: MCDST
  10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

still dont why sophos are even on that list. Anyone who has worked at NHS IT dept would know, its there worse nightmare. including myself :biggrin

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  11. Kitkatninja

I have to say that while I refuse to even look at Sophos software, I have been impressed with one of their hardware based solution, the WS1000. But that's the only thing...

-Ken

12. rich1234

rich1234 New Member

I'm currently trying out AVG as my Kaspersky expired.

I tried the MS one on the laptop with the RC version of Win 7 but it keeps allowing malware to start up, so hasn't really inspired me with confidence.

I used Avira a couple of years ago before getting Kaspersky, seemed to work quite well, might be worth a revisit I think.

Certifications: CCENT, MCDST, MCITP EST
    WIP: CCNA, MCSA