New CCNA

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by hduk, Nov 28, 2007.

1. hduk

hduk New Member

Hey All,

Im about to do a bootcamp for the new CCNA has anyone sat the 640-822 or 640-816 yet and any comments?

Its years since i last did the CCNA exam (2002) and i dont know what to expect. I know the pass marks are higher than back then.

Also does anyone know what the contract market is like these days for CCNA's?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I took the new CCNA exams... they're very challenging. But, like any exam, if you know your stuff, you should be able to pass.

Unfortunately, the Cisco Confidentiality Agreement prohibits anyone from discussing what sort of things that were seen on the exam... even the pass marks. Wish I could assist.

With our without experience?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hduk

hduk New Member

With experience.

I see such a variation in salery and experience requirement locally i cant really see a pattern.

Recently ive seen it all from CCNP 18K through to CCNA 45k experiece for both was 3 years is a Cisco environment, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Is it still a viable option to become a contractor and make good money on the back of a cisco cert with experience?

(Ive worked on Cisco kit for about 7 years now 4006, 5500's, 6509's, 3750's, Pix515, 2500, 2600, 3600 CWLMS)

If i can nail the CCNA im not sure what to do next. With the market how it is do i go down the Juniper route or maybe get DA, then SNA, SNPA to backup the pix exposure?

4. hduk

hduk New Member

Oops missed the pass mark bit in your first reply :oops:

No problem, deleted it.

5. BosonMichael

There's not really a pattern... a tech will make what the market will pay, and the market will pay what a tech will accept. Not that different from any other job, really.

Is it still a viable option to become a contractor? Sure, why not? You can either go out on your own, or get a job with a company who provides contract IT services to clients. Either way, you'd do well.

If you've worked on Cisco kit for 7 years now, the certifications are of secondary importance. Sure, they're worth getting... but you've got experience. Companies desire experienced people... certification just helps set yourself apart from others with equivalent experience. :)

Start looking around... and while you're looking, certify on anything your heart desires... Juniper, CCDA, CCNP, CCSP... plenty to choose from.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

$ or £?
    And yes, it is the other way round - or let me know who is offering 45k ($ OR £) for just CCNA!

Contracting? Like nostalgia, it isn't like how it used to be.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. hduk

hduk New Member

££££'s

I would like to know what a ccna is worth in the uk, can anyone suggest a website fo evaluating average salery by skillset.

:D I passed 640-816 today and 640-822 on Wednesday so hungry for the next cert now but not sure what to do.

I think Junipers fasttrack programme is certainly looking like a good contender but want to stay on the cisco track now that i have a bit of a boost.

I cant seem to find any material for the new SNPA though, that would be my ideal choice. Any suggestions? Cant even see anything on Amazon or Cisco Press :(

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Edited as was duplicate.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Amazon usually is a good web site to look this up at. Cheerio.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. BosonMichael

The CCNA certification won't get you a particular salary... your experience will. Certification only gives you a better chance at getting a job because certification gives you an edge over your competition.

Take any salary surveys that state "You should be making x £s with a CCNA certification" with a grain of salt... I have yet to see an accurate one.

11. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

If you check out www.itjobswatch.co.uk - it compares jobs all over the uk and gives average salaries for different it qualifications.

Shady

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP