New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raffaz, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hi

Just built and ordered my new system. Im gonna be using it mainly as a server for my digital streamer boxes but i will be using it for everyday stuff and maybe a bit of gaming aswell. Im wanting to setup RAID but im not sure of the best setup to go for, it has to be mirrored as i dont want to lose any of my data as ive got tons of films etc that i have converted. Should i put my OS on a different drive and then use RAID for storage, or can you guys/gals recommend a better setup? Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What I did for back up was put all my data on one hard drive and use a seprate hard drive for my os. Just in case something ever happens to the OS I don't want my other partion to be effected. Also if the hard drive goes bad not only do you end up loosing the os but also the data.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you want a RAID set up then put the OS on a different drive and use RAID 1 for mirroring.

I have dealt with RAID myself but I am sure thats the best way to go about, especially if you want your OS to have more integrity.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Ideally I'd use a RAID 5 configuration.

1 disk for your OS and 3 for the RAID Array. This will give you the best protection for your data, the best scalability, and faster read access to the data [which will be ideal for streaming].

5. Raffaz

This is the setup i currently have, the main problem with this is that i have over 1TB of data and if my drive fails then its all lost, thats why im thinking of going with RAID.

6. Raffaz

Yeah, i was thinking of this, whats the difference between RAID5 and RAID 1+0? Is it worth using that or are the benefits not worth it?

7. Raffaz

Heres what ive ordered in case anyone is interested :)

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
    Asus Maximus Formula SE Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    2 x Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Seasonic M12 Modular 700W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
    Antec P182 Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU (Gun Metal Black)
    BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC2 ThermoIntelligence 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Those new Asus mobos are good :)

Have you thought about striping instead of mirroring ?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What OS are you putting on this mate? You won’t be able to have any fault tolerance software RAIDs if you are running XP.

Best to go for a hardware RAID controller if you have the cash. Put 4 500GB SATA drives in as a RAID 5 and that should do you for data storage.

Remember the RAID can completely fail so you might want to think about backing up the whole PC\Server.

Another option is one of these..

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10876

RAID controller
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CC-027-AD

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Raffaz

I havent decided about the OS yet, it will probably be dual boot with XP and vista. What are the chances of RAID completely failing, and is there anyway to recover that?

11. Raffaz

Yeah, some of the reviews for the board are excellent, especially for OCing.:)

Never thought of setting up a stripped array coz it doesnt offer any kind of fault tolerance, and the only benefit i can see is a boost in speed.

12. Sparky

It happened to me a few weeks ago with a Dell server, had to install a new server and restore the whole thing from tape.

If the RAID goes belly up then you will have problems, you *might* be able to replace the RAID controller and the disks will still think they are part of the same container, if not then you have lost the lot unless you want to look at other data recovery options. This might cost serious £££ though.

You could use the Lacie box for backup, pricey though! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. Raffaz

Yeah, them boxes are pricey!:)

Do ya think its necessary to spend a couple hundred quid on a RAID controller? Will the built in one one the mobo not do the same job?

14. Sparky

How many HDs can you attach to the mobo one? You might not have enough for 1TB storage.

15. Raffaz

I can attach 4 drives to it mate.

16. Sparky

Cool, does it support RAID 5? 8)

17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Almost no motherboards in the consumer world support RAID 5. If you need that then you need the proper kit! But why would you need it?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. Raffaz

Yeah, it supports RAID 0,1,5,10 :)

19. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having looked this up (and that was difficult - many pages have a slight variation of the chipset number) I see that this will do RAID 5.

However - unless you are running a database I don't think the complexity is worth it.

I'd say use a single boot disk, and keep the 'precious' stuff on a RAID1 pair.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If you've got four slots, why not have two mirrored pairs - one for the OS and one much larger one for the data? Software RAID is shite - although you CAN do RAID 5 in windows without a RAID controller (I've seen it on a 'server' that was just an XP box for a small business - I think it was via a mod) it won't be stable, won't give you the performance that a 'real' RAID controller will and won't be as reliable if things go wrong with a single disk in the array 9which is why you'd be implementing it in the first place!)

I think two mirrored pairs is the way to go.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em