new build thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ClassicD, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Was wondering what cert forum folks think of this build.

AMD phenom II x6 1075t

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

Crucial 16 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1333 MHz ( PC3-10600 )

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6950 (GV-R695D5-2GDB) 2048MB PCIe x16 Gen 2.1

Corsair Gaming Series GS800 High Performance 800W PSU Power Supply

any recommendations?

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Not sure how the AMD chips are holding up these days but I got my eye on a i7 with this MB

Intel DX58SO2 Extreme Series Socket 1366 7.1channel.. | Ebuyer.com

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The corsair GS and CX models of power supply are to be avoided as they are not made by seasonic and thus the capacitors are of low quality where as the AX, TX and VX models are made by seasonic and are brilliant.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Personally speaking I went down the Sandy Bridge route for my latest machine and it's been great, infact I even watercooled it (a first for me) and it just worked.

Intel 2600K runs steady at 4.6ghz and underload (admittedly under water) doesn't go above 65c (that's running Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test).

You also don't mention which case you're planning on putting this into.

And I would have a look at the Nvidia cards, for me they are just that little better than the AMD ones.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. greenbrucelee

I agree the sandybridge is a great overclocker with or without water cooling. I personally dislike water cooling something about electricity and water not mixing stops me from doing so. However I overclocked one of those to 4.7 on air with max temps of 65 and without doing very much apart from raising the clock speed and asus rampage extreme..

+1 for nvidia cards and intel cpus.

6. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

cool thanks bruce i will look at these alternatives...

yea simon i got an Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower case, good call on the Nvidea i will have a look at ones in a similar price range.

There are a few in favour of INTEL rather than AMD I guess im just going by what i have always done, i wanted the i7 but many builds are restricted by sufficient funding unfortunately...

7. greenbrucelee

The antec 300 is a great case you will fit big graphics cards in it. There is no need for more than 4GB RAM unless you are going to do virtualisation or run apps like photoshp etc. No game can currently use more than 3GB and that is only a couple most cant use more than 2.5GB

8. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Thats exactly what its for bruce running alot of VM's, yea the only reason i thought about getting and AMD radeon rather than Nvidea was because the Gigabyte mobo was an AMD chipset but i guess it doesn't really matter what GPU is running does it?

9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If its just for running VMs then why do you need the graphics card? Just ditch that and chuck in a SSD to offload some paging/swapping and get a RAID adapter if you want extra IOPS

10. greenbrucelee

Agreed. look for a board with onboard graphics then to save some money get a couple of ssds for booting the os and a SATA drive for all the data. You wont need such a powerful psu either the corsair vx550w would do you fine.

11. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

I was planned to purchase the graphics card last, its a case of i want it don't need it lol plus i do play a bit of COD mainly. I just purchased 2x 1TB samsung HDD. Its mainly the cost that puts me off SSD's just now but will be considered in the future.

12. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

do you mean a RAID adapter with 2 SSD's?

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

You could do that but my statement is more for the HDDs as the cache on the RAID card would artificially speed things up(most require a BBU to be fitted but you can manually override that on some cards provided you click past the big warning ;))

If you put SSDs on a RAID adapter, my rule of thumb is not to go more than 4(on the same card) as most of the cards I've been messing with tend to start over heating with more than 4(under med/heavy load) and the extra heat will degrade the performance

14. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Your right good call i will look at RAID cards but if my mobo is enabled for RAID would that not have the same cache support or would a PCI card be a better option?, lol what is this big warning and what is a BBU?

15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Look in the sales and swap area :)
    No Fake/Hybird RAID won't have it
    Yes because it would be Real RAID Card :)
    something along the lines "Waring enabling the cache without a battery unit could cause corruption in the event of a power loss"

BBU = Battery Backup Unit
    or BBWC = Battery Backed Write Cache

16. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

cool nice one ThomasMc and GBL thanks for the help.

17. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

planning to buy sth very similar by the end of the month, you might want to go for black edition cpu - atm 1090T is cheaper on scan.co.uk than 1075T. also the board you mentioned has graphics onboard, I'll probably go for UD3 - same but no gfx, only a few quid difference though.

18. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

So i have decided to go the sandybridge route any recommendations on the new motherboard:

P8Z68 DELUXE

Is the Z68 one of the newest chipsets from intel or is the relatively old?

i see that the X chipsets are performance and the others are mainstream, does this mean the performance ones are for overclockers to go with extreme edition motherboards?